Okay, this is partially fueled by abecx's similiar thread.
I am getting very VERY inconsistant pings in games, and attrocious latency. My internet provider is Grande Communications, with 1.6mbps down, 768kbps up.
Things that are unusual:
1. Running a tracert to sites such as www.espn.com
take about 10 hops before they connect, all others time out past the router address at hop 1, or every single one would time out.
2. Pings can be fine sometimes, or just attocious at others. For example, ventrillo can be at 50ms ping when idle, but during a game, its 800ms + . I see this as a bandwidth issue.
3. I can ping out to any website.
5. All this has happened only since at the earliest late august.
Steps i have taken:
1. Contacted ISP. Got my dsl modem swapped out( old speedstream 5200) for a new one. Now i can at least run a tracert out and things seem okay...i suppose.
2. Tried to use a TCPOptimizer program. Not much luck.
Here are my results from speedtest.net
DL speed is about half, and the upload is about 1/6th of what it should be. This sucks. I need to get these clowns out here to test some lines, but is there anything i can do to help narrow it down for them so they dont dwaddle around?