watching what I eat is harder than I thought - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Old school 4-eye'd

Red face watching what I eat is harder than I thought

I never realized how bad I ate until I started watching and counting calories.

I actually like chicken and tuna and fruits and veggies, so that part is not hard at all. The hard part is in the morning when I want a choco donut or at ~3 when I want a candy bar or a sugary snack. Cutting out sodas has not been an issue at all, I dont even miss them.

Wish me luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 01:00 PM
WTF is Zed?

It is hard... especially with all of the negtive influences around us every day. I love eating healthy, it's wholesome food, but when you're surrounded by junk all the time it's hard to resist. It's a lot easier eating chips or a donut then cooking fish and veggies.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:12 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSS View Post
It is hard... especially with all of the negtive influences around us every day. I love eating healthy, it's wholesome food, but when you're surrounded by junk all the time it's hard to resist.
When I see someone eating shit food, I can't help but give them the once over, and then move on. Even if they aren't obese, they are usually greasy, pudgy, or a combination of the two. I'm turning into a food snob, haha.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
I'm turning into a food snob, haha.
I've been there for a long time as evidenced by my posts.

We VERY rarely eat fast food. I do mean RARELY. 90% of what we eat is organic, or all natural.

We do eat very well, but I haven't been able to give up sodas yet. I don't drink coffee, so I have to get my caffeine somehow. I'm not looking forward to giving up sodas at all. My cigarettes have got to go too. I think I will be too overwhelmed to give them both up at the same time, but I'm going to give it a shot anyways.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I am a Motherfucker

Careful with the tuna and mayo. Mayo is baaad.
Also I found that not watching alot of TV comercials really helped with cravings. Just Tivo or OnDemand all your shows and FF through the food ads.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Old school 4-eye'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFordCobra View Post
Careful with the tuna and mayo. Mayo is baaad.
Also I found that not watching alot of TV comercials really helped with cravings. Just Tivo or OnDemand all your shows and FF through the food ads.
I picked up some of the snack packs that are 110 calorie with the mayo, and since I dont like much, I only use about half the little package.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:11 PM
WTF is Zed?

Quote:
I'm turning into a food snob, haha.
I am too, for the most part. I don't know why but occasionally I have the worst cravings for sugary shit and empty carbs like chips etc.

I can go three weeks eating 100% clean, and then get a horrible craving for junk and give in. It's not like I can have one cookie and stop, I eat like a fucking pig. Then I get disappointed with myself and am more likely to cheat again.

I think the cravings stem from when I was a kid, I ate a lot of shit. I was always skinny so my parents never restricted anything from me.

I really need to work on my willpower and not give in to the urges. I feel so much better both physically and mentally when I eat clean foods.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 09:04 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
I am too, for the most part. I don't know why but occasionally I have the worst cravings for sugary shit and empty carbs like chips etc.

I can go three weeks eating 100% clean, and then get a horrible craving for junk and give in. It's not like I can have one cookie and stop, I eat like a fucking pig. Then I get disappointed with myself and am more likely to cheat again.

I think the cravings stem from when I was a kid, I ate a lot of shit. I was always skinny so my parents never restricted anything from me.

I really need to work on my willpower and not give in to the urges. I feel so much better both physically and mentally when I eat clean foods.
I will say that I don't go that long without cheating, and I have no desire to. I am of the opinion that a few cheat meals a week are absolutely fine, and can even be beneficial to motivation. During most of the week, I view food as fuel, and my choices are fairly easy to make. A couple of the meals on the weekend, usually Friday or Saturday night and the corresponding morning after, I eat and drink whatever I want. But even then, it's usually not chips or donuts, but cheesy, salty meals with a dessert.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 09:24 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I've been there for a long time as evidenced by my posts.

We VERY rarely eat fast food. I do mean RARELY. 90% of what we eat is organic, or all natural.

We do eat very well, but I haven't been able to give up sodas yet. I don't drink coffee, so I have to get my caffeine somehow. I'm not looking forward to giving up sodas at all. My cigarettes have got to go too. I think I will be too overwhelmed to give them both up at the same time, but I'm going to give it a shot anyways.
I knew you were a foodie, but figured you cooked with a lot of butter and salt. I stay away from all processed grains (bread/flour/torts) as well as cereals and starches during the week. Salt is rarely if ever used, same with butter/cream. No cheese, either.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 AM
WTF is Zed?

Quote:
I will say that I don't go that long without cheating, and I have no desire to. I am of the opinion that a few cheat meals a week are absolutely fine, and can even be beneficial to motivation. During most of the week, I view food as fuel, and my choices are fairly easy to make. A couple of the meals on the weekend, usually Friday or Saturday night and the corresponding morning after, I eat and drink whatever I want. But even then, it's usually not chips or donuts, but cheesy, salty meals with a dessert.

Great point tex, maybe I'm trying to do too much at once. A cheat day, or at least a cheat meal, once a week is prolly a good thing to keep my sanity. Thanks for the input.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Great point tex, maybe I'm trying to do too much at once. A cheat day, or at least a cheat meal, once a week is prolly a good thing to keep my sanity. Thanks for the input.
You absolutely are, the body and mind need a "mini-vacation" at least once a week to help with sanity. Even pro fitness competitors cheat at least once a week or so when not prepping for a contest. The key is to pick a meal or foods that will be copmpletely satiating to you (chocolate, PB, a donut, pasta, etc.) in the "junk" sense, but to eat it/them within moderation as to not un-do the progress from the past week. For instance, get a heaping spoonful of PB if that's your vice, and put the jar away before you even start eating. Same thing with chips or any other snacks (most do) that come in a multiple serving container, take out your serving for the moment, and put the rest out of sight. Take your time enjoying your snack/meal, and take solace in the fact that in only a few more days you'll be allowed to eat "good" stuff again. This helps both take care of the craving, as well as giving you the comfort in knowing that you aren't destined to eat rabbit food "forever." There is a definite psychological disadvantage to crash dieting for long periods, as you tend to desire "forbidden fruit" even more in an emotional sense when it is forbidden. The key is to be concious of t=what you eat on those cheat days, and keep the damage to a minimum.

The great thing is that after you've been eating healthy a while your taste buds will adjust to the ultimately blander diet (it's the bad stuff that makes foods rich in flavor), and you'll be mentally stronger in wanting to make healthier choices, so even your desired cheat meals will utimately become healthier in nature. This happens for two reasons A: healthier stuff begins to taste better, so you don't need that rich food to feel satiated B: as you become healthier over all you'll have a better sense of your diet and how eating righ makes you feel good, and you won't want alot of the crap that you used to eat, as it's no longer worth the ensuing guilt or cardio associated with it.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:20 AM
SEB
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN AGGGWHOOO

Do you guys get headaches. I swear since I have tried cutting out most of my carbs & eating right. I get the worst headaches.

GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Scared s**tless

A cheat meal a week has been shown to actively spike insulin levels and the metabolism, which is a good thing. Even eating super clean you body will trend back on metabolic activity after a while, making it harder to lose weight.

Too many super-clean, 10:1, 40/30/20 days got you feeling blue? A 12oz NY strip and a brownie sundae oughta fix that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB View Post
Do you guys get headaches. I swear since I have tried cutting out most of my carbs & eating right. I get the worst headaches.
I've tried variants of the keto diet and atkins... When I get under 25g of carbs a day for a few days I get very irritable. Headaches are also common.

Quote:
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
I knew you were a foodie, but figured you cooked with a lot of butter and salt. I stay away from all processed grains (bread/flour/torts) as well as cereals and starches during the week. Salt is rarely if ever used, same with butter/cream. No cheese, either.
Never was a huge fan of butter. I used to use lots of margarine and salt. I'm not sure what it is, but my tastes have changed over the years, and I just can't do it anymore. We rarely add salt to things anymore. I usually try and include something that is naturally salty when cooking the meal, that way we don't have to add any. For instance, if I do chicken picatta, I cook the capers with the chiken instead of just sprinkling them on after they come out of the pan. And when we do use salt, it's either sea salt or kosher.

We still eat a lot of starches though, and I refuse to completely give them up. I love my bread, pasta, and potatoes too much to cut them out completely.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Old school 4-eye'd

So I am 4 days in and already notice a difference in the way that I feel. I am a bit more energetic, seem to not feel as tired, and the day is going by faster. I keep the hunger under control by snaking on carrots and fruit durning the day while sitting at my desk. So far, so good. Have not stepped on a scale, waiting until the end of the week.

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:01 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
I've tried variants of the keto diet and atkins... When I get under 25g of carbs a day for a few days I get very irritable. Headaches are also common.
I've never liked the idea of cutting out carbs in bulk, without consideration of the origin. Plus, any diet that promotes as much dairy consumptions as Atkins has to be skewed. Plus, if you're losing calories from carbs, you need to be upping your good fats, which few people do. Have you guys ever looked into the Paleo diet stuff? From what I've read and seen, it's a better alternative for someone attempting to make a drastic change to drop fat quickly. It's a more extreme version of the diet I've evolved into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Never was a huge fan of butter. I used to use lots of margarine and salt. I'm not sure what it is, but my tastes have changed over the years, and I just can't do it anymore. We rarely add salt to things anymore. I usually try and include something that is naturally salty when cooking the meal, that way we don't have to add any. For instance, if I do chicken picatta, I cook the capers with the chiken instead of just sprinkling them on after they come out of the pan. And when we do use salt, it's either sea salt or kosher.

We still eat a lot of starches though, and I refuse to completely give them up. I love my bread, pasta, and potatoes too much to cut them out completely.
Just like anything else, it's about moderation. Decisions are never universal, because of the difference in how different people process things, as well as even more diversity in the goals of individuals. I'm going a little extreme for the foreseeable future, because I have fairly extreme goals for myself.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:04 PM
SEB
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN AGGGWHOOO

Quote:
I've never liked the idea of cutting out carbs in bulk, without consideration of the origin. Plus, any diet that promotes as much dairy consumptions as Atkins has to be skewed. Plus, if you're losing calories from carbs, you need to be upping your good fats, which few people do. Have you guys ever looked into the Paleo diet stuff? From what I've read and seen, it's a better alternative for someone attempting to make a drastic change to drop fat quickly. It's a more extreme version of the diet I've evolved into.
I will look in to it. But ever since I have cut carbs out & trying to get that 8 pack again. Its like I have the worst headaches. I will look in to this.

GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:22 PM
not exclude

Quote:
I will look in to it. But ever since I have cut carbs out & trying to get that 8 pack again. Its like I have the worst headaches. I will look in to this.
Paleo doesn't cut out carbs like Keto/Atkins does, it just considers where you get your carbs from and the type of carbs. For example, you can get as many carbs as you need from fruits and veggies, but stay away from wheat/rye/grain carb sources.

Tex, you ever read the Paleo books? Also, ever tried the Zone diet?
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Hired Hand

You don't hear about Atkins anymore for a reason...

I'll say again, carbs are necessary in any well-rounded diet, whether bulking or cutting. The key is to eat complex carbs such as certain veggies, yams, potatoes, oatmeal, etc. You are working an uphill battle if you aren't eating complex carbs. Complex carbs are necessary for proper brain and metabolic function, and as has been hinted at in hear, for leveling your mood.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
A true Ketosis diet addresses the fats, because a large portion of the diet (30%) is fat based. Now, differentiating between EFAs and sat fats is another topic altogether.

I did fine with the atkins derivative I did, I just hated the swings. I would be cool for 2 or 3 days, then I would kill someone for looking at me funny. Eat some starches and sugars, rinse and repeat.

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:41 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
Paleo doesn't cut out carbs like Keto/Atkins does, it just considers where you get your carbs from and the type of carbs. For example, you can get as many carbs as you need from fruits and veggies, but stay away from wheat/rye/grain carb sources.

Tex, you ever read the Paleo books? Also, ever tried the Zone diet?
I've read enough of the Paleo book I linked to understand it, it was basically a reinforcement of what I'd found works for me. Never really looked into the Zone diet, I understand it's similar, though.

Like Aaron said, carbs are necessary, the source and frequency are the issues.

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:42 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
A true Ketosis diet addresses the fats, because a large portion of the diet (30%) is fat based. Now, differentiating between EFAs and sat fats is another topic altogether.

I did fine with the atkins derivative I did, I just hated the swings. I would be cool for 2 or 3 days, then I would kill someone for looking at me funny. Eat some starches and sugars, rinse and repeat.
Highlighted is what I was referring to. My biggest turnoff was really that I disagree with short term solutions to long term problems, and there is absolutely no way someone can stay on a ketosis diet for very long.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:45 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Until I actually started writing down and adding up the calories could I see how fast and easily it all adds up in a single day. It's insane. I wish I would have done it 10 years ago. I was taking in 700-800 calories a day in sodas alone.

For me, it's been having to change the way I look at food. It's fuel, not a social function or entertainment. Just between cutting sodas, late night eating, training a minimum of 5 days a week and an increase in water intake I've lost over 40lbs now and still going strong.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:49 PM
not exclude

Quote:
I've read enough of the Paleo book I linked to understand it, it was basically a reinforcement of what I'd found works for me. Never really looked into the Zone diet, I understand it's similar, though.

Like Aaron said, carbs are necessary, the source and frequency are the issues.
The Zone diet is the same food base as Paleo, except you are weighing/measuring all your foods and paying a lot more attention to actual amounts. Paleo for Athletes is a very good read, but may be a bit too much information and variance for someone starting out on it. It requires a good understanding of training regimen and dietary needs.

For anyone wanting to start out on a Paleo diet with less understanding of it all, I'd recommend Dr. Cordain's first book. Much easier to pallet.

http://thepaleodiet.com/paleo_books/paleodiet.shtml
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Highlighted is what I was referring to. My biggest turnoff was really that I disagree with short term solutions to long term problems, and there is absolutely no way someone can stay on a ketosis diet for very long.
Praise given!
I agree completely with this statement!!!
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:41 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
The Zone diet is the same food base as Paleo, except you are weighing/measuring all your foods and paying a lot more attention to actual amounts. Paleo for Athletes is a very good read, but may be a bit too much information and variance for someone starting out on it. It requires a good understanding of training regimen and dietary needs.

For anyone wanting to start out on a Paleo diet with less understanding of it all, I'd recommend Dr. Cordain's first book. Much easier to pallet.

http://thepaleodiet.com/paleo_books/paleodiet.shtml
Right now I'm having trouble finding time/stomach room to eat enough calories, and I imagine it'll only get worse.

Paleo for athletes can be a little technical at times, but I think those who've posted here have enough of a background in training and nutrition to handle it, if they so choose.

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:53 PM
CEO of......

I pretty much eat what i want now that i mainly eat "good" foods. I just don't eat too much of the "bad" stuff
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:55 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Right now I'm having trouble finding time/stomach room to eat enough calories, and I imagine it'll only get worse.

This is my problem right now. I know i don't eat enough and i'm trying to gain as much muscle as i can before i start doing cardio
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Lifer

Adding more weight to the bar and I'm eating like a pig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement