DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Medium Kabuki
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 88lx .. 140k ... aod(slight leak from pan ..cracked seal)
3.55s, alum drive shaft, msd6a, cold air, exhaust, 190l pump
my question(s):
i have 2000 to spend ... so, what next?
get a c4 (rev man valve body, transbrake, 10" conv 3000stall)
or..
do all of the suspension and get some slicks
or...
rebuild the engine with a 347 stroker..(need an extra 1000 to do that plus that aod will be doa soon)...
or ....what?
if you have had this problem before and had some good results with your project ... please let me know

thanks

G

·
Well, I'd do the engine buildup first. I'm facing this same dilemma, but have no desires to run a 347. Is it going to primarily be a street or strip car?

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
Decent engine build-up, and a T-5 swap. Perfect time to do it...$2K should be enough....

·
Im somebody's daddy!
14,602 Posts
Since you want the car to be streetable with no long trips, Im going with the idea that its mainly gonna be a strip car...

So, I would do the suspension and sticky tires.

The suspension will always be there and will compliment every mod from then on.

·
None
12,675 Posts
bsharer said:
Since you want the car to be streetable with no long trips, Im going with the idea that its mainly gonna be a strip car...

So, I would do the suspension and sticky tires.

The suspension will always be there and will compliment every mod from then on.
Agreed. Build from the ground up.

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Never start with the motor, espcecially one thats back by an original AOD. When you put this motor in, its probably gonna run even worse that stock if you put in a big cam. Always start with putting the power to the ground. Even if you do make good numbers with the Built 347, whats it gonna do if you're just spinning your tires. It pointless, to me, to build a car, spend lots of money on the motor, and not even be able to plant it to the ground.

·
The Medium Kabuki
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok.... i will do the suspension 1st ..
any suggestions on what to do for about 1000 or less?
i was told to take the front sway bar off for weight distribution and then put some eibach 1" lowering springs on, with some kenny brown subframe connectors... and buy some extra wheels and put some slicks on ... so, what size rear wheels and slicks ...??

thanks for all of the info

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Do like me, I am getting my complete shortblock with forged pistons with high volume oil pump and felpro gakets w/out a stock cam for $380 from a place here in mesquite, then bolt up all of ur stock parts, then convert it to a 5 speed and then if u have anything left spend it on a cam...TFS Stage 1 for the new motor and some rockers and used slicks!! Thats what i would do, i guess i already faced this same problem and within a week or so i should be buying my new motor...then no more stock coupe for me!! :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
kaaronc said:
ok.... i will do the suspension 1st ..
any suggestions on what to do for about 1000 or less?
i was told to take the front sway bar off for weight distribution and then put some eibach 1" lowering springs on, with some kenny brown subframe connectors... and buy some extra wheels and put some slicks on ... so, what size rear wheels and slicks ...??

thanks for all of the info
I would not do the Eibach lowering springs if you want to maximize your weight distribution on launches.
I would also suggest the MM full length subs over the KB's.

·
Im somebody's daddy!
14,602 Posts
HP Motorsport Mega Bite jrs's...$230
UPR solid chrome-moly street uppers...$149
Kenny Brown super subs... $95
Lakewood 50/50 rear shocks.. $80
2 - 26" x 8.5 or 9" DOT slicks or true slicks...$300-340
2 Factory 15x7" wheels to match your existing wheels...$50
Remove/disconnect front sway bar...Free

Thats probabbly right at $1000 with mount and balance on the tires. Still need to have the subs welded on... So a touch over $1000 unless you get a hook up on the factory wheels.

That would make a great street/strip rear suspension, and would provide a slight increase in noise over stock.

I would also replace the factory housing bushings with erethane, or new stock bushings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts