DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Where is Ms. Right?
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You hear about crazy people shooting and killing people all the time. So why are we not allowed to carry in bars, school, hospitals, and all the other places.

Think about it. Criminals don't respect the law. They're safer if they open fire at a bar or a school than if they opened fire at Wal Mart. Why? Because they know that we, the law abiding citizens, can't carry a weapon there.

Does anyone agree?

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
I can understand bars...

But really, it pisses me off that I cannot carry at school. I am 21, possessed of a concealed handgun license, and even in the wake of massacres like Virginia Tech I am not allowed to carry. You would think at Baylor, a private university they wouldnt care as much.

The other day I thought about it. I was sitting in class and heard a loud ass boom outside. Made me think, "damn, some crazy asshole could just start opening up on everybody here, and we wouldnt have a chance". Kind of scared me. I wish that at least professors could carry.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
I agree 100%. I agree with no carry with any BAC or in a bar but otherwise there is no good reason.

·
Lifer
12,430 Posts
Yes, I disagree with the campus thing. The only thing I can think of is that they don't want CHL'ers at sporting events because emotions can run high. They probably don't want them there, and I don't think they could make a rule of having them on campus, but not sporting events.

·
None
12,675 Posts
Just don't get caught. If you are carrying it right - concealed - then you have nothing to worry about. You may have a legal issue if you have to discharge your firearm in a restricted area, but which would you rather be?

Dead - but within the law.

Alive - and able to hire a lawyer.

Seems to be a simple choice for areas without proactive detection methods (metal detectors, searches).

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
Just don't get caught. If you are carrying it right - concealed - then you have nothing to worry about. You may have a legal issue if you have to discharge your firearm in a restricted area, but which would you rather be?

Seems to be a simple choice for areas without proactive detection methods (metal detectors, searches).
That sounds fine and good and all, but I just could not bring myself to carry a gun illegally to school. I would be constantly worried about it and conscious of its presence.

But seriously, I think a fair compromise would be letting the professors carry. That, or station a campus police officer in every room at all times, lol.

·
Rolling with the homies
43,268 Posts

X2! Rather be judged by twelve than carried by 6.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
I can understand bars...

But really, it pisses me off that I cannot carry at school. I am 21, possessed of a concealed handgun license, and even in the wake of massacres like Virginia Tech I am not allowed to carry. You would think at Baylor, a private university they wouldnt care as much.

The other day I thought about it. I was sitting in class and heard a loud ass boom outside. Made me think, "damn, some crazy asshole could just start opening up on everybody here, and we wouldnt have a chance". Kind of scared me. I wish that at least professors could carry.
Oh, Baylor is in a great neighborhood nothing bad ever happens there.

BTW I agree carry on campus should be allowed. There was a pretty big controversy around here a while back when a lil small town has allowed teachers to carry.

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
LMAO

18th highest murder rate in the US I believe.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Short answer is almost all gun laws are based on fear and not fact. Open carry is a good example as is carrying in a bar. You can carry concealed in a bar in Colorado and no more bad things happen in Colorado bars than anywhere else. Pick almost any gun law and you will find fear or ignorance as it’s basis.

Wayne in FW

·
Lifer
12,430 Posts
But seriously, I think a fair compromise would be letting the professors carry. That, or station a campus police officer in every room at all times, lol.
The mere thought of liberal professors carrying makes me twinge.

·
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?
2,224 Posts
Short answer is almost all gun laws are based on fear and not fact. Open carry is a good example as is carrying in a bar. You can carry concealed in a bar in Colorado and no more bad things happen in Colorado bars than anywhere else. Pick almost any gun law and you will find fear or ignorance as it’s basis.

Wayne in FW

Right on Wayne.

If you can be trusted to carry walking in the mall with men women and children, having been investigated by the FBI, then why limit it?

·
Fear the lawn gnome
4,535 Posts
the only restriction on my iowa chl is under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. As long as the legal sign isnt posted they can all kiss my ass.

·
#4 Best QB Ever
29,339 Posts
I disagree on bars. I go to bars frequently and I don't drink or get into any situations where I shouldn't have a gun. I still agree on not being able to carry while intoxicated. Also, schools is BS. There is no reason why anybody that's issued a CHL and can legally carry should not be allowed to legally carry at school.
Yes, I disagree with the campus thing. The only thing I can think of is that they don't want CHL'ers at sporting events because emotions can run high. They probably don't want them there, and I don't think they could make a rule of having them on campus, but not sporting events.
It's already illegal to carry at a sporting event:
(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;
Why? They most likely wouldn't be carrying, and they definitely wouldn't be pushing their liberal agenda with a gun...

·
African Booty Scratcher
13,150 Posts
hell yeah!!! bellmead is super nice!!!!!! swing by sues #2 if you have the chance as well!!! if there isnt a metal detector, bet your ass i am carrying.

god bless.

·
duh...duh....duh
9,543 Posts
Hospitals I get: People are exhausted and may suffer emotional trauma beyond ANYONE's ability to control. I can elaborate if needed, but I think most get this and will agree or disagree.

Schools: I don't get this at all. I do a lot of work at schools and the police are NOT around in the wee hours when I'm having to slip out to my vehicle. Thankfully, most of the school parking lots are not posted. Most of the crimes at community colleges that I know of in this area happen in the later hours. Not in the building when school is in session. Besides, if school shootings occur you'd think have CHL folks maybe handy.

Bars: I get, but a good CHL holder won't be drinking if they are carrying. Heck, it's the law. In theory, not drinking while carrying should supercede the 51% law.

Sporting Events: I disagree with this part as well. Although, I work in an office full of CHL holders and 1 of them agrees with it. HE gets overly excited at sporting events, my argument to him is maybe he should not have a CHL if he can't control his emotions.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My brother is a liberal professor and I tried to get him to carry. He did not have a problem with keeping the guns that I gave him at home but asking him to carry around a glock is as repulsive to him as asking you to molest a child is to you.

Gun laws boil down to this:

The left hates anything that will empower the people that they believe are too dumb to make correct decisions for themselves. They pass laws to tell people what to do in the name of protecting them from themselves.

The right can't resist dictating what they believe is right VS wrong and they use the power of government to do so. They pass laws to tell people what to do in the name of protecting them from nameless/faceless boggie men.

I personaly carry everywhere I go legal or not and have done so for more then 25 years.

·
Where is Ms. Right?
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's a scenario....

What if you were carrying in school, a bar, a hospital or somewhere else where you're not supposed to. Let's say you have a CHL but are carrying it concealed but it's illegal.

Let's say a crazy person walks in to the school or hospital and starts randomly shooting. You, as a CHL holder, but carrying where you're not supposed to, draw your weapon to defend not only yourself but other innocent bystanders.

You take out the gunman. Now what? You're a hero but a criminal at the same time.

What do you see as a likely outcome when this goes to trial?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts