DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've narrowed it down to 2 models for my first 1911. They are both full size, .45 ACP, comparably equipped (as best as a 1911 virgin such as myself can tell) and priced about the same. Which one would you pick and why?

Springfield Armory Loaded Stainless
http://www.springfield-armory.com/assets/pdf/SPRINGFIELD_Book_armory_PX9151LP.pdf

Kimber Stainless II
http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/custom/stainless_II/

I'm not attaching a poll. I would rather see the actual opinions than the numbers.

·
GROWED UP WRONG
7,413 Posts
I am partial, I own/carry Kimber although the Springer is not a bad gun.
I had the same decision and just posted my choice.

·
User may be editing post.
12,013 Posts
To make things more difficult I'd have to pick that Springfield. That pistol is gorgeous. I must admit, good choice on the two. I love full frame stainless .45's

·
Slingin rock on da corner
3,451 Posts
They're both good guns, and they're both gorgeous guns to boot!!

I'm partial to Springfield, but I've had Kimbers as well. Can't go wrong either way IMO.

·
Slingin rock on da corner
3,451 Posts
Oh snap, looked again, that's the same Springer that I bought my dad for Christmas last year. Excellent pistol, helluva shooter. He absolutely loves it.

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
Out of those two I would choose the Springfield.

But if it were me I would pick up a Colt XSE.

·
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!
7,049 Posts
Either/or have an excellent reputation. It's up to you as to what brand name you want to sport.

·
Every day is.............
9,150 Posts
Only difference I can see is the Kimber states "Match grade barrel" and the Springfield doesn't. I can't say if that would be a deal breaker for me though. That Springfield is a gorgeous piece.

That said, I would probably opt for the Kimber, but only because I own one and have never shot that particular Springer.

Either way, nice guns.

edit: If you want to shoot a Kimber, just let me know and I'll meet up with you and let you shoot mine. Not the exact same model (Gold Match II) but they're pretty close.

David

·
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only difference I can see is the Kimber states "Match grade barrel" and the Springfield doesn't. I can't say if that would be a deal breaker for me though. That Springfield is a gorgeous piece.

That said, I would probably opt for the Kimber, but only because I own one and have never shot that particular Springer.

Either way, nice guns.

edit: If you want to shoot a Kimber, just let me know and I'll meet up with you and let you shoot mine. Not the exact same model (Gold Match II) but they're pretty close.

David
I appreciate the offer. I've shot examples from both brands and both were great shooters. I didn't shoot them on the same range trip, but it seemed the trigger on the Kimber was a bit crisper than the Springfield. I don't know if it had any work done to it.

·
PAN
20,154 Posts
Ccan't see either one thanks to websense.

I have a stainless springer though and like the hell out of it, so pick that one!

·
Lifer
12,430 Posts
Either one is very nice. Since I have a couple of Kimbers, I'd go with the Springer just for variety.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts

C-c-c-combo breaker!!! :lmao:

Either one of those pistols are gonna be badass. If you get the Springer, the Kimber squirrels will bitch and vice versa.

·
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

C-c-c-combo breaker!!! :lmao:

Either one of those pistols are gonna be badass. If you get the Springer, the Kimber squirrels will bitch and vice versa.
I haven't completely ruled out other brands, but I know I'm not concerned about valuation in the future. If it were an investment, I'd get the Colt, but I want to shoot the hell out of whatever I get.

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
I haven't completely ruled out other brands, but I know I'm concerned about valuation in the future. If it were an investment, I'd get the Colt, but I want to shoot the hell out of whatever I get.
I hear you, but the Colts really do it for me, and the price is on par with kimber or springfield. You can get an xse with or without the rail too.

·
Pimp Juice ca. 1997
12,220 Posts

·
Pimp Juice ca. 1997
12,220 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts