DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in law has a 2002 Trans Am with an automatic and he wants to get gears installed. What gear should he go with (street car, no track)? Who should install them and how much should it cost? How do you recalibrate the speedo in an F-body without spending $350 on a Power Programmer.

Thanks
Ryan

Oh, what gears come stock in this car?

·
"MOTOR"
1,551 Posts
R.P.M in lewisville do good work !

·
Registered
461 Posts
For gear install go to Tx drivetrain He will hook you up.I got my 3.73s installed for $400 total.Thats everything,gears,labor,fluids,ect.I then got a Partial tune from MMT for $150.Sean will delete codes,calibrate speedo,ect.

·
Out with your mom
2,508 Posts
I'd do a stall converter before gears. Just IMO but his car will launch a whole lot better with some stall behind it vs a set of 3.73:1/4.10:1s...besides that you'll lose MPG (if that matters to ya).

From my memory there are some 3.23:1 geared cars (otherwise you'll have a 2.73:1) that run in the high 11 sec/low 12 area too. www.ls1tech.com is full of F-bod guys to enlighten ya. :D

·
Goblin King of Fort Worth
3,235 Posts
He's gonna lose MPG from the converter too, especially around town. MMT or RPM would be my suggestions, and yes, theres plenty of 3.23 and 3.42 cars running into the 10's.

·
Out with your mom
2,508 Posts
Fordblue625 said:
He's gonna lose MPG from the converter too, especially around town. MMT or RPM would be my suggestions, and yes, theres plenty of 3.23 and 3.42 cars running into the 10's.

Well ya, as you'll operate in a higher rev band mostly. Highway cruise is going to be very close as the converter isn't too efficient with more stall. Usually the higher 90% area.

·
Registered
367 Posts
StolenFox said:
My brother in law has a 2002 Trans Am with an automatic and he wants to get gears installed. What gear should he go with (street car, no track)? Who should install them and how much should it cost? How do you recalibrate the speedo in an F-body without spending $350 on a Power Programmer.

Thanks
Ryan

Oh, what gears come stock in this car?

Sent you a PM..

Jeremy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts