DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a heads/cam/intake LX with stock style tranny * blew up my WC. hahaha.... * but i just thought i'd get some different opinions on what RPM to shift at, it loves 6k plus on the highway, but off the line i can't really get a consistant place to shift, it's starts spinning horribly.... I'm running a fully forged Zero balanced 306 with edelbrock heads, E cam, 3.73s ect ect...

· Pumpkin Head R.I.P.
2,821 Posts
crazycarguy03 said:
LoL. Unfortunately i'll float the valves then.
Sounds like you could use some new valve springs:(

· Resident Pinstriper
4,978 Posts
crazycarguy03 said:
My car pulls 7 grand + : \
If it's zero balanced and forged throughout, it shouldn't have the least bit of problem pulling 7K+. As mentioned above, you really need to get it dynoed and see where your peaks are, then adjust accordingly. My friend's car (302/forged dome piston'd/aluminum headed/carb'd) loves high rpm. He was running slower when he would shift at 6500, as opposed to 7200 !! :eek: :eek:

-Aaron

· Resident Pinstriper
4,978 Posts
Yeah, the stock block can actually handle alot more RPMs than some people think. Mine has about 115,xxx miles on it, and I beat the shit out of it all the time. I have a rev extender and have *cough* accidentally *cough* hit 7k a couple times. But I have a handle on that now !! :D :D ;) ;)

-Aaron

· Resident Pinstriper
4,978 Posts
LOL.....oops, forgot to take that out !! ;) :D Hey, wanna let me drive your car ? :D :D J/K !! I don't drive anyone's car but mine anymore after a certain T5 encounter. I care not to explain that one. LOL

-Aaron

· Premium Member
1,654 Posts
crazycarguy03 said:
On a highway race i've been known to push the RPMs... usually around a 6800 shift for fun to hear the dumps scream. I've pegged both factory tach and speedo.. hehe looks cool.
You have a chip or something? the stock rev limiter is 6250. I bet if your shifting @6500 on the the stock tach in actuality it's around 5500.

You want to shift the car about 500 more rpms than peak power.

Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.