DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy a complete built motor, one that will hook up to my computer on my 97GT. I figured i would rather just buy a brand new motor, one with a lot more hp, and a lot more durable, than just rebuilding the one i have now. Could be cheaper in the long run, so i don't have to pay labor on building the motor. Does anybody know some good websites to look at some complete built motors? I thought SHM had some crate motors, ready to install, but i couldnt' find any! :(

Can somebody help? I need my car up and running asap! :(

· None
10,576 Posts
Just trying to save you some cash.

You're looking at 3000 bucks just for a built shortblock.
http://www.dssracing.com/4_6_sohc.htm

On top of that you prolly want/need the heads, ported and with some work done on that, so there's another 1700.

Plan on putting your 97's parts all on it? Alt? Starter? Timing chains? Pulleys? Add more $$$.

To go built, you're looking at minimum $5k before labor.

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i guess maybe the best way to go would be to rebuild the motor i have now? What parts would i need to replace? I can get the complete alluminum heads pi swap, that comes with everything (complete heads/valves/lifters/cams/gaskets etc...) i guess i need some forged pistons? rings? New crank? What would be the best way to do all of this? I need this asap!!!! Labor is gunna kick my ass isn't it?

I really need Marcus in here right now!!

If i get the alluminum pi headswap, should i send the cams off to be regrinded?

I'm not very smart about rebuilding a motor, i have never done it!

· Behind Blue Eyes..
6,686 Posts
dude just buy that 66k mile stock motor and be done with it!

· Behind Blue Eyes..
6,686 Posts
new winsor block

:confused:

· None
10,576 Posts
Are you financially prepared for a 10k motor? That's what it'll come close to with all the options you want along with the labor to get there.

You're obviously on a rushed time schedule, and that is the worst place to be when planning to do a major modification. (mistakes are easy to make and they can be very costly)

Unless you're just bleeding cash I'd buy the 66k motor, get your car up and running and build up the expensive motor on the side when you have the time to research your options and do it right.

Then, when you want to change to the new engine just swap them out with virtually zero downtime. If your "built" engine ever has a problem, you have a perfectly stable engine sitting in the garage that can be put back in the car while you get the built engine fixed.

In other words, it's a safety net.

· Registered
773 Posts
That post made sense. It was thoughtful, well worded, and had a valid point that was well argued. Who the fuck took over Chris's login !? :D

Chris98GT said:
Are you financially prepared for a 10k motor? That's what it'll come close to with all the options you want along with the labor to get there.

You're obviously on a rushed time schedule, and that is the worst place to be when planning to do a major modification. (mistakes are easy to make and they can be very costly)

Unless you're just bleeding cash I'd buy the 66k motor, get your car up and running and build up the expensive motor on the side when you have the time to research your options and do it right.

Then, when you want to change to the new engine just swap them out with virtually zero downtime. If your "built" engine ever has a problem, you have a perfectly stable engine sitting in the garage that can be put back in the car while you get the built engine fixed.

In other words, it's a safety net.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.