DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know the best octane booster you can buy at stores. What do they raise 93 oct to??? We were talking about this at work the other day and I don't think anything really raises the octane rating much, maybe to 94 or 95 oct.? Now I know some of you guys are going to say aww you can make your own out of Xylene etc. but I want to know about stuff you can buy over the counter. Please any and all opinions.
Bob

·
Registered
757 Posts
nos makes the best as far as im concerned. however, the mangenese in all of them coats your pistons, valves, and so on, with a brown metal coating. you will see this in your plugs. my advise is buy race fuel. its a lot better than pouring something like octane boost in. try the phillip 105 octane, or the vp. they are the best.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I am not going to buy any. I ask because a friend of mine, whose a chemist, and myself were thinking of developing our own. We were talking about develpong one that you could add to 10 gallons of 93 and boost it to 100 octane. I was just looking at what are things people don't like and like about them. I fgure we could come up with something safe and cheap that we could produce a lot of. If there is enough interest in it.

·
Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,105 Posts
Toluol

Best stuff hands down is Toluol at Ace Hardware store. It is toluene, paint stripper. But hey, don't let that scare you. It is 114 octane. I use one gallon with about 3 gallons of 93 pump gas. It cost like $10 a gallon. It is the ultimate octane booster for cars with cats.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Before I got the heads reworked for unleaded fuel in my '66, I used to run 104+ Lead. Unlike the standard 104+ octane boost, it actually contained tetraethyl lead, which is what they used to use in all gasoline to boost octane before the EPA got involved. It seemed to help, but I have no idea how many points it actually raised the octane.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.