DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got mine off and need the whole plugged. thanks. what length too.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Try this: Take the block that came off the head. Cut off the pipe that is running out of it. Turn it around so the hole in the block faces the firewall. Now screw it back in with the same bolt you took it out with. Might want to put some kind of gasket maker between the head and the block. Repeat for the other head. This worked for us. Good luck!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i was doing but i don't like the way it looked. i also have the upper removed to polish so i don't want to have to do this again. anyone know th eprice on the inserts?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine is a 95. lots more room on the driver side. i got a vert so i am more into show than speed and i am anal about stuff like that.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Cool! Yeah, I was amazed how much more room there is to work in the 94-95 over the fox body. We had a big bolt j-b welded in there at one time, got on it on the street, and you just hear this BAM!! The bolt shot out of the head and put a huge dent in the firewall. Good luck with your adventures!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
woa, might try somthing else then.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
do you recomend them over the bolts?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bolts vs. inserts. you guys help me decide.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ttt

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
don't remimber the size though?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats right, ill just take a sparkplug to the hardwaye store. thanks man!!!!!!! problem solved!

·
Out with your mom
2,300 Posts
No they are coarse threads, hence a spark plug won't work. They are 9/16th. Gotta hit a hardware store to find them, or get them from Ford for about $10.

I had so much carbon build up in those passages in the heads on my F-150 I had to get bolts instead of inserts to be able to tighten them in.

·
IA2
22,150 Posts
The problem with the inserts is that if the engine is in the car it'll be a bitch to tighten them up.

With a bolt all you need is a wrench.

You can also cut some grooves across the threads of the bolt with a hacksaw and make a crude tap. This can be used to clean the carbon off the threads in the hole.

On 2nd thought - I guess you could thread a short bolt into the insert, use thread locker on the outside of the insert, run the insert/bolt into the hole & tighten with a wrench, let the thread locker dry, and the back the bolt out if you wanted to go with inserts.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.