DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come the 1st of the month im gonna have a little extra cash to spend on my 02...i've already put in a cold air intake..and was thinkin about either putting in a diablo sport chip/headers/or a throttle body spacer and undrive pulley kit...any ideas on which of those 3 possibilities would be the best to do at this early of a stage!?!? I was leaning towards the throttle body spacer with an underdrive pully set just cause its a little cheaper...and figured it would be best to wait on the diablo chip till ive done more upgrades...but im just a newb so what do i know..any info will be helpful

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yeah..but i know jack shit about the gears..actually know about the other stuff..so could one of you mind explaining the dif gear ratios and what each is good for..stock are 3.27 right...so whats the dif between 3.73 and 4.10 and how much does it screw up the gas mileage cause i heard it lowers it considerably..not that this thing gets too good of mpg anyways..Also the dealership was saying throttle body spacers can cause problems that the warranty wont cover since its an aftermarket product...what kind of problems could it possibly cause?!? or do you think they're just saying that to be cautious

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any idea how much it effects the gas mileage compared to the stock 18mpg that it gets...cause i will be driving to college in arlington or dallas everyday which is about 30 minutes from where i live...so it matters a little bit. How much more would the 4.10 help compared to the 3.73 anyways? Not sure if im gonna do this anyways..might wait till i put 11k more miles on it and my warranty is up..just incase something is already wrong with the car cause it has been making some funny noises but maybe its just standard transmission crap

·
Banned
18,736 Posts
don't be scared of high gears.. i have 4.30s in my car.

nitrous (wet kit 100 shot), '92 style t5 transmission, hurst short shifter, k&n cold air, hedman ceramic coated unequals, o/r h-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters dumped, eibach pro launch kit, steeda subframe connecters, FMS 4.30 gears, walbro 190, !smog equipment, !sway bars, !rear seats

·
Vikings are next!
8,501 Posts
Is your car a stick or automatic? If you have a stick and you drive alot I would go with the 3.73's....gas mileage is not different at all...I have an 02 like yourself and have not see ANY difference in the gas mileage! Also like da prez said 4.10's are more for drag racing...it will remove the ability for your car to go 140 m.p.h though!:( ...with 3.73's its all good! If you even want to see the difference between your stock gears, and 3.73's give me a call I will gladly let you drive my car so you can see the difference! I live in dallas!:) BTW mine car is a five speed!:) Let me know!
Miguel!

·
Vikings are next!
8,501 Posts
Another thing...you said you were looking to get a TB spacer????:confused: ....might I ask what you are trying to accomplish with that?? From what I've heard that will give a HP increase of 0!....don't waste your money on that bro!:) I think that was only for the foxbody stangs! :cool:

·
Rookie
14,219 Posts
Dangerous Miguel said:
Another thing...you said you were looking to get a TB spacer????:confused: ....might I ask what you are trying to accomplish with that?? From what I've heard that will give a HP increase of 0!....don't waste your money on that bro!:) I think that was only for the foxbody stangs! :cool:
Miguel's right on this one. :)

Hawse, Your probably talking about the intake spacer, however thoughs things are worthless too.

You sould get the pullies and gears. Gears are a must for your 2V. 4.10's are the way to go. Your not going to be going 140mph anyway, however you can still go that fast with 4.10's. Its not bad on gas at all really. I have 4.10's in my daily driver and i'm about to move up to 4.30's.
If you get 3.73's you'll wish you had gotten the the 4.10's later.

Oh, yea. You should open up the exhaust too, with an h or x pipe and some mufflers of your choice....Greg

·
Gunga galunga
7,544 Posts
GRAYHORSE said:
Miguel's right on this one. :)

Hawse, Your probably talking about the intake spacer, however thoughs things are worthless too.

You sould get the pullies and gears. Gears are a must for your 2V. 4.10's are the way to go. Your not going to be going 140mph anyway, however you can still go that fast with 4.10's. Its not bad on gas at all really. I have 4.10's in my daily driver and i'm about to move up to 4.30's.
If you get 3.73's you'll wish you had gotten the the 4.10's later.

Oh, yea. You should open up the exhaust too, with an h or x pipe and some mufflers of your choice....Greg
very true...there is no reason why you would go 140mph...go with the 4.10's you don't buy a V8 mustang to worry about gas mileage, it won't suffer that much.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ofcourse my car is a stick :D wouldnt have it any other way..and thanks for the tip, guess ill skip the tb spacer then...just get pullies, and how much is it for the gears w/installation do you think? How much better would the 4.10 be in the 1/4 compared to the 3.73 and how much lower would it make my top speed compared to the 140 or whatever it is now. Also..if you get H pipes and remove the cats (not street legal right) what do you do about getting inspections..

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hawse771 said:
ofcourse my car is a stick :D wouldnt have it any other way..and thanks for the tip, guess ill skip the tb spacer then...just get pullies, and how much is it for the gears w/installation do you think? How much better would the 4.10 be in the 1/4 compared to the 3.73 and how much lower would it make my top speed compared to the 140 or whatever it is now. Also..if you get H pipes and remove the cats (not street legal right) what do you do about getting inspections..
Actually, aren't there 4 cats on the stock setup? An aftermarket h or x pipe w/ cats will #1 be w/ high flow cats and #2 it will only have 2 cats. You will pay more for the pipe w/ cats but you can still pass .:D

·
Vikings are next!
8,501 Posts
SVT 01 said:
Actually, aren't there 4 cats on the stock setup? An aftermarket h or x pipe w/ cats will #1 be w/ high flow cats and #2 it will only have 2 cats. You will pay more for the pipe w/ cats but you can still pass .:D
Yes however...if youre gonna buy an aftermarket exhaust you might as well do it the right way! Dont buy a x or H catted pipe! You can still pass the inspection with the o/r H-pipe if you're cool with the guyz that does them! With some MIL's you won't have a check engine light...plus if you get the catted one it won't be as loud( if loudness is what youre going for). O/R applications rule!:)

·
Rookie
14,219 Posts
4.10's with help your quarter mile more than 3.73's.
Its very important that you get some sticky tires also. At lease Drag Radials. You will still be able to go 140mph if that is what you wish for. I can go almost 120mph in fourth.

About the o/r pipe. You can always get inspected somewhere. ;) You'll just be braking the law. Kind of like you going over 140mph. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts