DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
five liter chevy eater
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the diff in a tremec tko and a tremec 3550?

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
are you talking about the new TKO's, like the TKO 500/600.

I'm guessing, but i think the TKO is just a stronger version of the 3550.

·
five liter chevy eater
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i only ask cause i am running juice on my stang and my stock t-5 started crying about it today so i am looking at buying a 3550 from someone that only has 2k on it with clutch, flywheel, and all and i want to know if the 3550 will stand up to spray?.

·
Registered
202 Posts
A TKO has a higher torque rating than a 3550. Some of the differences in the two are the input and output shafts. The 3550 is the same as a T-5...10 spline input and 28 spline output shaft. The TKO has a 26 spline input and a 31 spline output.

·
five liter chevy eater
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
slix 86 said:
A TKO has a higher torque rating than a 3550. Some of the differences in the two are the input and output shafts. The 3550 is the same as a T-5...10 spline input and 28 spline output shaft. The TKO has a 26 spline input and a 31 spline output.
so if i went with a tko what would have to be changed in order to use it?

·
Registered
202 Posts
You'll need a different clutch and a different output yolk for a TKO. To change from a T-5 to a Tremec (3550 or TKO) you'll need a few things too. A different bellhousing and adjust/reweld the crossmember (maybe). Do a search and you'll probably get a few more details that I'm forgeting.

·
five liter chevy eater
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just need something that will hold up to the nos since my t5 is yelling at me in most of my gears now. I found a 3550 for sale with only 2-3k on it with clutch and all so if it will stand up to the nos, then i will prolly get it.

·
Darkside
20,120 Posts
slix 86 said:
You'll need a different clutch and a different output yolk for a TKO. To change from a T-5 to a Tremec (3550 or TKO) you'll need a few things too. A different bellhousing and adjust/reweld the crossmember (maybe). Do a search and you'll probably get a few more details that I'm forgeting.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I bought mine from USA motorsports a long time ago.............it came with the yoke in the box with the tranny. You can use your existing crossmember. Just bust the tack welds that will allow it to slide back a little. You will need a chevy clutch disc, you can use your existing pressure plate.

Over all the TKO is a stronger tranny.

·
you cant see me
15,960 Posts
what about the tremec 3650 that comes in the newer gt's/mach1's and 01 cobra?? how tough is it compared to the tremec 3550?? and how is it compared to a regular t-5?

·
Premium Member
16,774 Posts
slo95.0 said:
what about the tremec 3650 that comes in the newer gt's/mach1's and 01 cobra?? how tough is it compared to the tremec 3550?? and how is it compared to a regular t-5?

that tranny is almost identicle to the t-45, just a new name disignation.

I think they only difference from the t-45 is it has built in stops for the shifter

·
you cant see me
15,960 Posts
Beej said:
that tranny is almost identicle to the t-45, just a new name disignation.

I think they only difference from the t-45 is it has built in stops for the shifter
so it really isnt any stronger than a new t5? :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
slo95.0 said:
That is what I had in my car before the t-56. It needed a rebuild at about 7,ooo miles. Started grinding from second to third, then just quit finding third.... Get a better tranny.

·
you cant see me
15,960 Posts
tribalstang said:
That is what I had in my car before the t-56. It needed a rebuild at about 7,ooo miles. Started grinding from second to third, then just quit finding third.... Get a better tranny.
thanks.
honestly, for the price of a 3550/tko, and all the shit you have to buy to get it to work, and all the hassle of find the shit and putting it in, im really thinking that if i ever have trouble with my t5 that im just gunna take it to slims and have it rebuilt, its just so much cheaper, and lots of people with 3550s and tko's are rebuilding them too, at least the t5 will be in a lightweight car.. but if it was in a 96+mustang with over 3300lbs or more i bet that it would break real quick.

·
five liter chevy eater
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
can you pm me slims number or something so i can get a price on rebuilding mine?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts