DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Cobra with a Aluminumn Fluidyne Radiator and need help cooling it. I took out the original fan cause no way to fit that one in because of the side and shroud. So I put in a FLEX-A-LITE ELECTRIC FAN in and a smaller one in the front of it to pull out still heats up like a mother. I have done pressure tests, and no leaks or anything and I am runniing a 160 stat and still gets up there in the heat. I have been told by some shops that the aftermarket just doesn't have enough RPM's to cool it down.

BTW I have a 240amp alternator so no problems in handling load or anything.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
How much surface area of your radiator coil does your flexalite cover? If you do not have a big enough shroud to pull heat from most of the surface it won't matter how many cfm you are moving.
 

·
Foxaholic
Joined
·
7,351 Posts
Ditch the 160 degree thermostat. It's not helping anything.

What temp. are you running at? Have you actually hooked up a mechanical temp gauge to get a real reading?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bad89stang said:
Ditch the 160 degree thermostat. It's not helping anything.

What temp. are you running at? Have you actually hooked up a mechanical temp gauge to get a real reading?
Well it usually runs around 210 I do have a mechanical guage on it. I did forget to put in original post I have a beltdriven S/C running arouind 5lbs. boost. I don't know if this causes more heat to make a difference? no I/C still trying to figure out best app another post told me to get 3 1G I/c's or something, but can't find those.

Thanks
 

·
Foxaholic
Joined
·
7,351 Posts
I would still run a stock Ford thermostat. It should run in the 180-190 range if the rest of the system is working correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SVT 01 said:
How much surface area of your radiator coil does your flexalite cover? If you do not have a big enough shroud to pull heat from most of the surface it won't matter how many cfm you are moving.
Well the readiator is aprox. 30" and the shroud is 15". Two fans one on each side opposite corners same size.
 

·
Gunga galunga
Joined
·
7,544 Posts
How wide is the core...

Lincoln mark VIII Fan...Perma Cool makes a 14" fan that flows nearly 3000CFM maybe 2 of those would work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Ideally, you want the fan to be seperated from the coil section of the radiator by at least 1"- 3" by a shroud or sealed ducting of some sort that will transfer the heat off the entire surface. You have an awsome radiator and I would keep the lower temp. stat. so you can get max. flow there and look into a better fan setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jakesford said:
How wide is the core...

Lincoln mark VIII Fan...Perma Cool makes a 14" fan that flows nearly 3000CFM maybe 2 of those would work
Well the radiator is a Fluidyne Aluminum Radiator (94-95)

Part#: FHP-20-95MU The Dimensions are 30X19X3

Some guy has one on ebay states that it 19 inches tall , 17 inches,and 4 inches thick. hope this helps.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top