DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Im somebody's daddy!
14,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flip through any new MM&FF or 5.0 mag and you can see some of the sickest race cars ever built! Its amazing how many people actually have 100% state of the art race cars. The quality in the construction from bumper to bumper is outrageous. They have the best parts money can buy.

How can so many people afford that stuff? In the current issue of 5.0 Mike Duffy says that it typically costs $100,000 to have an Outlaw car like the majority of the people are running right now. $50,000 to $60,000 for a rolling chassis alone. Us do-it-yourselfers cant even comprehend the design that goes into one of these cars. The experience you pay for would be worth every penny.

Even the Hot Street cars are getting totally sick! The Drag Radial cars are totally nuts! Most of them are sub 9.0's on drag radials!! The Renegade and Real Street cars are also right there. The cars are just bad ass. Every placement of a bracket, every wiring harness, everything... its just amazing. The time and money invested just boggles me.

What do these people do for a living that allows them to race during an entire season, maintain the car, travel, build a new car every other season...etc... ??? Seems like everybody is doing it these days!

I would LOVE to drop a Fairmont off at Kim Smith's along with a blank check and come back in a month and pick up 7 second Outlaw Fairmont!!!!

To sum it up: I need to either find a Sugar Daddy, or get a job making crazy money... and I need to do one QUICK. :D

·
Worship me
34,345 Posts
Sell drugs or inherit a trust fund...that is what 90% of them do. The rest are well off business owners.

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
Some people just have money to burn on shit like that. Racing is a very expensive hobby but there are a bunch of folks who can afford alot of badazz stuff. My suggestion is to play the lotto and pray that you win....;)

·
Worship me
34,345 Posts
Yea, someone brought up a good point...sponsors don't hurt either.

·
Premium Member
33,187 Posts
I hear ya man...

That's a big reason I don't really want to build the Tbird anymore, or any other car for that matter. I know I can't afford to build anything decent, so I think I'll chill and watch the others do it for a while. Gather some ideas and cash, and maybe one of these days have something nice to play with.

I bet you've got more in the Fairmont now than you ever thought you would! :D

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
I see people every day (and have some friends) that drive cars in the 50-100k range. I guess it's just a matter of priorities. Most top of the line cars (BMW, Benz, Jag, Lexus, etc.) are 60k and up. It makes more sense to me to have a badass pro car, than a SC430 that costs' 60K, and is worth half that in 3-4 years.

·
Worship me
34,345 Posts
I just consider the money I have spent a sunk cost and alwasy sell old shit to upgrade, that way I'm only out the difference. of course this only works to a certain point. Like right now i really wish I had some sort of bad ass 2002 GT chassis....

·
Im somebody's daddy!
14,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess it gives me something to dream about, or maybe shoot for. Not that I really think Id ever have the money to dump into a car like that. But maybe something of that caliber. Something that is totally thought through... start to finish. Every there where it should go for functionality and looks. To me, that is what separates the BAD ASS cars from cool cars.

·
If the shoe fits......
5,406 Posts
I think the majority are business owners. Like some of the KOTH guys that have the serious rides. These guys started a business grew it and then went racing. A couple raced the whole time. Some live like paupers and put all there money in their cars. I want to start my own business but I am gun shy to say the least. And don't really know how to begin. I guess just jump off, then sink or swim. I don't know. But working for somebody else sucks.

·
Worship me
34,345 Posts
NDSP said:
I think the majority are business owners. Like some of the KOTH guys that have the serious rides. These guys started a business grew it and then went racing. A couple raced the whole time. Some live like paupers and put all there money in their cars. I want to start my own business but I am gun shy to say the least. And don't really know how to begin. I guess just jump off, then sink or swim. I don't know. But working for somebody else sucks.
I'm going to start my own real estate company. Not IF but WHEN.....think of all the morons who have money....

I have a saying.....LUCK is when opportunity meets preparation. There are a lot of people who should think about that.

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
Very true...you make your own luck. Timing, hard work, call it what you want...you still put yourself in position to reap the benefits when it comes along. Hell, I'd rather be "lucky" than "good", any day!

·
Registered
797 Posts
you know though....just like anything else....how fast do you want to go....is how much money...how much do you want to spend.

air+money=horsepower

·
None
12,675 Posts
Going off the assumption that most of these cars are shop cars, do the owners get a benefit by dumping money in it and writing it off as a business expense?

·
How you doin'
28,254 Posts
Chris98GT said:
Going off the assumption that most of these cars are shop cars, do the owners get a benefit by dumping money in it and writing it off as a business expense?
yep, it's advertising, therefore a business expense. (tax write-off) business owners have the advantage of being able to spend money, and then pay taxes on what is left, whereas employees pay taxes, and spend what is left.;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts