DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Lifer
12,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a year ago, I'm driving down a major artery at work, and the car in front of me runs a red light. I pull it over and the female driver has no license, no insurance, and a couple of kids in the car.

I issue her tickets for the red light, no license, and no insurance.

Today I go to court and the judge calls her name to enter a plea.

Of course she speaks only Spanish, so she enters her plea in Spanish (the judge is Hispanic). I have no clue what she just said, so I wait until she and the prosecutor go discuss the case (with an interpreter).

The prosecutor comes back and tells the judge that he says that he's going to reset the case for 2 months (remember, it's already been a year) and tells the judge that she thinks that she can get a license. When she comes back, he will give her probation for the tickets.

So, she leaves and he asks me if I heard what happened.

I said "what makes you think that she's going to get a license since it's been a year since I stopped her and she hasn't gotten one yet?"

He asked what I would have done, and I said "I would have prosecuted her for not having the license, insurance, and running the red light in the first place".

He got pissy with me and said "well, the next time we have a trial, I'll have you sit up here with me as my co-counsel"...

After telling him not to patronize me in open court, I left. I'll deal with him another day after I do a little research.

I still don't understand his thought process....

·
HERE WE GO STEELERS
18,683 Posts
Don't think there's much you can do :( You're an enforcer of the law, he's an interpreter and can basically do whatever he wishes with the case. Personally, I would have demanded she speak English in my courtroom, verify her immigration status and deported her if she was here illegally, which is almost a certainty. Then if everything panned out, would have her pay the citations you wrote her.

·
Premium Member
33,187 Posts
They're not going to get any money out of her, and they're not going to deport her. What's the point exactly? You probably should have just let her go, since there are no consequences for illegal behavior if there's no way to document who you are.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT
I still don't understand his thought process....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT
(the judge is Hispanic).

Found the problem.

YEP.

·
Doughnut Lover!
2,736 Posts
Hey Matt, I actually stopped three cars in a row last week that drivers license and insurance! I was in shock and almost went home!

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
That really makes me angry. When will this shit stop?

By the time I am 30, ill bet all the billboards in the DFW metroplex will be in Spanish.

·
Worship me
34,345 Posts
Aren't you just plain lucky that she showed up for court?

You should have followed her to the parking garage/street and pulled her over again when she drove off.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
They're not going to get any money out of her, and they're not going to deport her. What's the point exactly? You probably should have just let her go, since there are no consequences for illegal behavior if there's no way to document who you are.
So reward those that are breaking the law? F that! I would keep writing the tickets, that's all you can do. Try not to sweat what the judge does, that's out of your control. Much easier said than done, I know.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Rookie prosecutor? Normally I think they'd let her plead down to one offense, pay the fine and be gone. They have their conviction % to worry about after all.

Did she drive herself to court w/o license?

·
Lifer
12,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rookie prosecutor? Normally I think they'd let her plead down to one offense, pay the fine and be gone. They have their conviction % to worry about after all.

Did she drive herself to court w/o license?
She left before our little dance. I'd love to know the answer to that myself.

From years of past experience, people don't just drive without a license once.

·
Registered
86 Posts
These are the people that will run that red light again and smash into your car and then your screwed. There is a reason they are called "illegal"...sorry your country sucks so bad, but quit fuckin up mine.

·
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
16,272 Posts
Was she allowed to drive off after her citations even though she had none of the requirements to drive an automobile? I'm amazed you were able to ID her in the first place. Was she even a legal citizen?

Couldn't you have put her jail? After, she was a risk for the public around her and kids in the car with her.

·
Notorious PIG
1,612 Posts
Why didnt you arrest that bitch and have her shit towed?! I thought it was a mandatory towing without insurance!
This LOL.

However I have to say you run into so many freakin people that have no dl or insurance it gets to be a time thing.

Working warrants now though I realize that every person that has no form of ID and no insurance should go to jail, no if ands or buts. So many out there that just flat lie about who they are never to be found again.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I guess I'm not smart enough to understand the law. This happened over a year ago and the bitch has done nothing to rectify the situation? How is that even possible? Do they issue warrants for something like this, or did she keep getting postponements?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts