DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my block back from the machine shop today and noticed that there is a bolt broken off that would hold the waterpump on, its one of the two bolts near the hole for water to flow on the right side. I drilled a hole in the bolt and tried to use a reverse tread bit hammered in there, but no matter what, it breaks its grab and spins. Just wondering how else I should try to get this out.

Am I just going to have to re-tap the hole?

(302 block)

·
Premium Member
5,347 Posts
Re: Water Pump bolt broke in block, trying to back it out, doesnt work, any other idea's?

DFW_93_GT said:
I got my block back from the machine shop today and noticed that there is a bolt broken off...
Sorry for off the subject here but what machine shop would leave a broken bolt in the block...?

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Re: Re: Water Pump bolt broke in block, trying to back it out, doesnt work, any other idea's?

tphan said:
Sorry for off the subject here but what machine shop would leave a broken bolt in the block...?
Exactly. They have the tools and the know how. They should remove it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dont know, it was in there when i took it to them im guessing, since the bolt i took out looks broken, so they didnt do it, and i noticed that they circled it once the block was already back at my house.

·
Behind Blue Eyes..
6,686 Posts
retap or do what i did...get a smaller size bolt, but not too small, weld it or put it on the existing bolt with jb, after its cured get the socket set and ratchet it out...mine came right on out

·
Premium Member
5,347 Posts
Vertnut said:
Take it back to them, and let them finish their job.
That is exactly what I would do. You paid the machine shop to prep the block...leaving a broken bolt behind is a good indicator of an unfinished job.

·
Saved
1,337 Posts
Ylw 98~~SNAKE~~ said:
I remember someone mentioning that there is a certain welding rod that can extract broken bolts. Make sure you ground the engine good or your bearings will be toast. Take it to the machine shop and have them get it out.
They are usually called stud pull rods, and don't really work too good on a flush break, they work better when a bolt is broken 1/4" or more deeper in the hole.
Did you try using an Ez-Em Out? if you drilled the hole center and in line, without getting into the threads, it should work, a left handed drill bit usually won't. Experienced mechanics can get them out with a center punch and hammer by tapping it in the reverse direction (out). if it's out just a little bit, (1 thread or so hanging out) you can thread a nut over it, then CAREFULLY weld the nut full, making sure you actually weld the nut to the roken thread, and it'll back out. A little heat helps when rust is involved, but DO NOT overheat the area, iron is funny stuff when heat is concentrated in small areas like that.
Best bet if you aren't sure, take it the shop that did it, or if you now don't trust them, take it to another shop that you do trust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.