DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat back is vibrating above the axle in the rear fenderwell ever since i put headers on. I have twisted it in all directions and can not get it to clear the fender part. I am considering putting turn downs right after the mufflers eliminating the rear portion of the cat back. My question, Will their be a difference in sound? Do turndowns pass emissions?

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
turn downs

yes, it will sound different. i think it sounds better w/ td's. not so sure about the whole inspection thing though.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Yes it will pass inspection no problem, because you are not messing with the cats. And it will sound deeper and a little bit louder from the dumped exhaust.

·
Foxaholic
7,351 Posts
what?

erfan, where did you get that info? The exhaust must exit behind the passenger area. You might be able to find an inspector that doesn't care, but that is the rule. Technically, they are illegal.

·
Premium Member
16,774 Posts
they will give you a hard about the tail pipes not exiting the rear of the vehicle. I had dumps on my 98, and I had to take it to 10 places to get it inspected. Most likely they will not pass it with out tail pipes, so no is the answer you will not pass an inspection.

·
Foxaholic
7,351 Posts
THE_RAM said:
they arent illegal...my new truck has dynomax bullet with turndown and my old 89GT had turn downs...not illegal at all
You're right... I just made it all up. I haven't checked around and asked the inspectors the law before. Silly me. :rolleyes:

·
P.I.M.P.
3,868 Posts
INTP said:
The Texas Department of Public Safety thinks it's illegal.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/publications/rules/ch42.htm

Section 20.15 states:
"Inspect for and Reject if...
j. The tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides or top of the passenger compartment of the vehicle."

You are welcome to disagree, of course.
Notice it says passenger compartment... so my truck IS street legal as far as emmissions... lol bc my Dumps are AFTER the cab... just not at the end of the bed of the truck.

G

·
Technically, yes... dumps are illegal. The must exit the rear of the axle. I tried to get mine "legalized" but no-can-do. They aren't illegal as far as emissions, but they will fail you for illegal dumps.

·
Registered
803 Posts
dumps sound good on old cars! And plus they are very loud in the car, and eventhough you still have cat's it will still smell like crap when you are stoped at a light. They are wll known for rattling you car to peices, at least thats what it sounds like in the car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dumps sound good on old cars! And plus they are very loud in the car, and eventhough you still have cat's it will still smell like crap when you are stoped at a light. They are wll known for rattling you car to peices, at least thats what it sounds like in the car.
I dont have cats, so it already smells. But im talking about the turndowns after the muffler, so the pipe wont rattle in the fenderwell.

G

·
nx96gt said:
Turndowns are dumps and yes, they will make your car rattle bad.
only if your car is a rattle trap. I have dumps on my 94 and nothing rattles. Just the cam makes the car wobble ;)

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
KJ94GT said:
only if your car is a rattle trap. I have dumps on my 94 and nothing rattles. Just the cam makes the car wobble ;)
my car must be a rattle trap then. I wish my car wobbled :(

·
Im Not Fat Im Big Boned !
1,519 Posts
my car is wobbling without blower cams, not much but it does now !

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Erfan Z28 said:
Yes it will pass inspection no problem, because you are not messing with the cats. And it will sound deeper and a little bit louder from the dumped exhaust.
And people say i give out wrong info.

the exhaust has to exit the passanger compartment. Dumps, after the muffler is still under the cabin & will not pass inspection.

Good Try Erfan!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts