DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
FTH!
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best exhaust/turbine housing to use for the TD-04 compressor in single app. Finished my install, drove the car and no boost until 5000 rpm. Its running a HUGE housing so I guess I need to come down in size. Any help is great....

·
World Record Holder!
11,061 Posts
What size motor?

What mods?

And where do you want to boost the come in at?

I've got a single PT51 (comparable to your turbo) system on my car (302 with good heads and intake). I've got a .69 exhaust housing and I've got 4psi by 1700-1800 and full boost by 2500-2600. The down side is that it's done by 5400 or so. A .81 housing will get you full boost by 3200 or so. I wouldn't go any bigger than that on a ligthly modded 302.

If you aren't getting boost until 5000, you probably have a 1.13 or so.

·
Scared s**tless
13,733 Posts
MOD95snake said:
What's the best exhaust/turbine housing to use for the TD-04 compressor in single app. Finished my install, drove the car and no boost until 5000 rpm. Its running a HUGE housing so I guess I need to come down in size. Any help is great....
if you have a powerstroke turbo, they aren't the best for quick spooling. VERY large exhaust sides...

·
Registered
655 Posts
what are you running don?

·
Merry HoHo
31,627 Posts
DonSVO said:
whats that rats nest doing under your hood? oh, my bad thats your wiring:D
i wonder two of those things would do for a twin set up on a V8. i know bryan is spinning the hell out of his two little turbos, but how much more would a T3/T4 flow? and add ball bearings to that. can you say booooooooooooooooooooooosted baby.

·
Scared s**tless
13,733 Posts
SNEAKY said:
i wonder two of those things would do for a twin set up on a V8. i know bryan is spinning the hell out of his two little turbos, but how much more would a T3/T4 flow? and add ball bearings to that. can you say booooooooooooooooooooooosted baby.
as long as i can supply the airflow *headwork, exhaust* mine will efficiently produce 425 wheel horsepower.

·
Scared s**tless
13,733 Posts
they run out of power range a tad early, due to the stage III/.50 trim compressor. but i made up for that by getting a custom camshaft ground and retarding it 4*.

·
FTH!
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx for the input guys, sorry I did not explain what was on the car in full. The housing that is on there now is a tang/divided cast, I think from a powerstoke or cummings. So an .81 should do it on a non-internaly modded 302? I want to achieve peak boost at around 3500 or so with little mods to the down pipe. I'm new at the turbo thing so I'm going to keep buggin' ya'll:D

·
FTH!
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, Victor wants to change the housing on the setup due to serious lag, dont get me wrong, if fly's above 5000 but shit you hardly notice it cause it's gone as soon as it gets there. Plus it only get mabey 3psi before you have to shift:confused: A couple of days and I'll give you a ride in it:D

·
Scared s**tless
13,733 Posts
barely boosting at WOT??? 4 PSI???

i wonder if the wastegate and/or actuator isnt open, and therefore bypassing the turbine...

·
Registered
929 Posts
SNEAKY said:
I've also been wondering how well a pair of those hybrids would work on a 302. When I plotted the operating line on the compressor map, it looked like it would be very close to the surge line at the lower revs (3000 rpm) at 15 psi (2:1 pressure ratio). But, that was based on calculated mass flow, not actual measurements. If Don can make one work on the 2.3, there shouldn't be any surge problems with 2 of them on a 302. Don, how much boost are you running, and at what rpm do you have full boost?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.