DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a Merkur (85-86), with an auto trans. The P.O.S. runs, and the turbo is good. The car is shit. I think I can get it for $700. Any feedback on this?

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Denny! So do I part it out or what?

·
Out
41,944 Posts
Na, you wouldn't make any real money out of that. I'd fix it up and make it quick. Doesn't take much. I'd have to see it to see how rough it is, but some of the ones I've seen have good potential.

I've got the .60/.63 T3 put on my T-Bird now (along with a couple of other things;)). I think I've worked out the bugs and it moves well!

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
I'd get it. I'd also find a 4 banger Mustang that's super clean but needs drive train, and put together a gas friendly daily beater!

·
Banned
30,955 Posts
I wouldnt waste my time. The turbo 2.3 is a very high maitenance engine and even if you fixed it up, there isnt a very large market for Merkurs.

·
Out
41,944 Posts
talisman said:
I wouldnt waste my time. The turbo 2.3 is a very high maitenance engine and even if you fixed it up, there isnt a very large market for Merkurs.
High mainenance?:confused:

There's more than enough aftermarket for 2.3 turbos, you just gotta know where to look;)

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,373 Posts
Those things are FAST!
<- lost his bullit rims to denny racing the 2.3

·
Banned
30,955 Posts
Denny said:
High mainenance?:confused:

There's more than enough aftermarket for 2.3 turbos, you just gotta know where to look;)

Well, my SVO was pretty much broken down once a week for the 2.5 years I owned it, sometimes quite a bit of the way away from my house, so I'd say they are high maintenance. I know where to find parts, its just the frequency I had to DO it that bothered me.

·
"R" Code
1,960 Posts
SHIT! i need to hurry up and get one for my car

·
Beer Swillin' *******
1,371 Posts
Like Forrest said, If the engine is good & the car is rough, Maybe $3-500 is a fair price. The Merkur had a weak rear diffrential system and a very weak auto and manual trans. The only part worth scavenging for a mustang swap is the engine.

·
Registered
519 Posts
talisman said:
You just gotta know where to look for parts. There are two US companies and some Canadian ones that deal specificly in Merkur parts.

I've owned my SVO for close to 3 years now and after a tune up when I bought it, it runs great and would drive everyday, if I needed it to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts