DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use these? If you do, what series (Max, ML, TS1, TSS, or Claimer)?

I'm building a new engine (306) for my 92' lx and have been looking into them but I don't know which series have the gapless TOP ring. I know the Max seals do but I'm looking at the TSS's and it looks to me like they are gapless at the 2nd ring. I really don't want to blow $200 on the Max seal but I'm not going to skimp on rings if I can spend just a little more to have very good rings.

Jerred

·
Registered
757 Posts
ive got the childs and albert rings, and they are fine. the new je rings are file fit, and are pretty dang good. dont get me wrong, total seal is considered to be the best, but what are you doing with the car? n/a? forced induction? nitrous? unless your going with some really serious boost, i wouldnt spend the money. the je rings are fantastic.

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stroker, I just want the best I can afford for this engine considering it's gonna last a long time. I may do nitrous or I may not, but spending $200 for rings that have 0-1% leakdown is a definite advantage.

·
Registered
757 Posts
nothing wrong with a little overkill. im big on that myself. any of the rings mentioned in this post will do fine. my childs and albert rings will go 100,000 miles, without a problem. but the total seal rings are considered to be the industries best. use what your comfortable with. besides, any ring can fail if you have a serious problem. but all of them are good.

·
Registered
243 Posts
From what I remember.........
TS1 is gapless 2nd ring with low tension oil ring
TSS is gapless 2nd but with standard tension
Max Seal is their new gapless top/gapless 2nd combo

I've always used total seals. Some engine builders will say it's a bunch of hooie, but you can't argue with 1-2% leakdown after a season of hard use. Regardless of which gapless ring set you buy, you're going to spend $189 to $200.

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup, can't use the TSS because I'll probably end up with nitrous on it later in the future

I don't know guys, since my engine isn't going to be full race or anything I'm thinking just go with some speed pro rings and spend the extra $75-100 on something else

Oh well, I've still got a month or two before I have to decide

Thanks for the opinions though,
Jerred

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.