DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MFFL!
15,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've tried the fake logs and they kill the chill in the air, so I've tried regular wood recently, and it just never seems to start. I've taken the dangerous route in the past and tried starter fluid to keep it going. I can stick a fake log under there as a starter and that doesn't even help. Is there just no way to make wood burn if there's any moisture in it? What do you guys do to make a good fire?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I hear race gas does the trick:D

·
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
14,997 Posts
Just remember, Real Wood is the complete opposite from your own "wood". If the wood is wet, your never going to start it. :D

Just get a damn Duralog if you don't have Gas to keep the fire going ;)

·
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
10,859 Posts
mustang_marc said:
We've tried the fake logs and they kill the chill in the air, so I've tried regular wood recently, and it just never seems to start. I've taken the dangerous route in the past and tried starter fluid to keep it going. I can stick a fake log under there as a starter and that doesn't even help. Is there just no way to make wood burn if there's any moisture in it? What do you guys do to make a good fire?
You bought wood that isn't seasoned. It will not burn until the moisture is out of it. Put it in the garage for next year and go find some dry wood. When you shop, ask them if it's seasoned. Check it carefully, it will be will feel lighter than normal wood because it has less water in it. It also sounds different when hit against something solid.

·
Boost is Life
4,327 Posts
Sounds like you are using too thick of logs. Get an axe and chop that shit. :D You could also use a firestarter with the logs and it should start (from the way you explained it doesn't sound like you did that). A trick I use for camping is to save up my dryer lint between camping trips. That stuff makes a great fire starter. :)

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
Place some balled up newspaper at the bottom of your grate. Place some kindling on top of the balled up newspaper. Make sure your kindling is dry. Crisscross the kindling over the newspaper. Need air between the pieces of kindling.

Set larger wood on top of the kindling, crisscrossing the wood. One or two layers.

If you figured out that the chimney was reversed above, ball up a piece of newspaper and place it in the damper, so that it stays by itself. Light it. This will warm up the chimney so that it will suck up the air.

Light the newspaper under the wood.

But... if your wood is wet, sizzles when you try and light it, forget all the above and buy some duraflame logs. The wood isn't ready.

The best wood for catching fire is wood that has been cut and split and dried for about 8 months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts