·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hope its not a repost...

Return of the 5.0: Ford Exec confirms 400 hp 'Coyote' V8 coming in 2010
by Damon Lavrinc on May 18th 2009 at 3:27PM

2010 Ford Mustang - Click above for a high-res image gallery

When the 2010 Ford Mustang debuted, there was a collective groan among the pony car faithful that Ford didn't update the aging 4.6-liter V8 along with the 'Stang's new sheetmetal. So when a few spy shots surfaced in January showing a new aluminum engine nestled under the hood of a Mustang mule, we knew the Blue Oval had something else up its sleeve – and now we have confirmation.

According to Ford Australia's product development director, Russell Christophers, FoMoCo's U.S. team is working on an all-new, aluminum double-overhead cam 5.0-liter V8 – codenamed "Coyote" – with output expected to crest 400 hp and around 400 lb-ft of torque. Christophers told Australia's Drive, "I have seen the performance curves and it is a pretty good engine."

The new 32-valve, 5.0-liter V8 is expected to be fitted to the Mustang and F-150 sometime in 2010, replacing the current 4.6- and 5.4-liter mills. With its aluminum block, it should be notably lighter than the current V8, and with the inevitable option of the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 making its way under the Mustang's hood, Ford looks to be bringing the fight to the new Chevrolet Camaro.

·
Worship me
34,345 Posts
True and it is only 14 years too late.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
good news. now if they would only get rid of this 'retro' styling...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope it stays in the same price range and they dont try to charge almost 40k for a v8 stang..

·
you cant see me
15,960 Posts
i think it will still be slow and heavy. .4liters can not help that car out that much. but sure will make for pretty fender badges that blake can put on his fasty.

·
Texas Rangers #1
10,592 Posts
i think it will still be slow and heavy. .4liters can not help that car out that much. but sure will make for pretty fender badges that blake can put on his fasty.
.4 liters maybe not, but the extra 100hp (or almost) will, as well as a lighter engine (aluminum block vs steel block) will make a difference.

·
Doughnut Lover!
2,736 Posts
.4 liters maybe not, but the extra 100hp (or almost) will, as well as a lighter engine (aluminum block vs steel block) will make a difference.
The current engine, with the exception of the 5.4 in the GT500, is aluminum already. The extra hp and torque will be appreciated though.

·
Texas Rangers #1
10,592 Posts
With its aluminum block, it should be notably lighter than the current V8, and with the inevitable option of the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 making its way under the Mustang's hood, Ford looks to be bringing the fight to the new Chevrolet Camaro.
The current engine, with the exception of the 5.4 in the GT500, is aluminum already. The extra hp and torque will be appreciated though.
I was going by what the article had stated, wasn't sure if the 4.6 was all aluminum.

·
Doughnut Lover!
2,736 Posts
I was going by what the article had stated, wasn't sure if the 4.6 was all aluminum.
Yeah, I'm not sure what they are talking about in the article either. I've read that the 5.0 is supposed to be smaller physically than the 4.6 so maybe that's what they mean. It's all good anyway. I can't wait until more info or the engine itself comes out.

·
Texas Rangers #1
10,592 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure what they are talking about in the article either. I've read that the 5.0 is supposed to be smaller physically than the 4.6 so maybe that's what they mean. It's all good anyway. I can't wait until more info or the engine itself comes out.
Maybe in the F150 the 4.6 has an iron block? In that case it would be lighter...

·
老师
12,120 Posts
it looks like an ls1 :)
That's what I thought. Isn't the current GT stang a 3v? Does that mean 3 valves per cylinder? That equates to 24 valves, this one will have 32. Also is the current engine a SOHC or a DOHC? I don't know much about the 4.6, so sorry if they are retarded questions.

·
Rambling Man
10,985 Posts
I swear that engine looks a little more narrow than the previous 4v's. It would be fucking sweet to be able to fit one in a fox with a little more ease.

Neiladin, you're on the right track. Dohc

1 - 20 of 29 Posts