DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
30,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a fairly smart guy, so I find it infuritating that some of the smaller aspects in life are the ones I find so difficult to reconcile as an unwitting member of the human race. These obsessions that we assign ourselves to direct untold amounts of energy toward as we attribute growth to happiness confuses me. It seems to me we are all after some sort of perfection, whatever that internal perfection may be.

Yet by our very nature we are the most contradictory species on the planet. The balance is thinly veiled chaos, with the slightest variable inevitably upsetting whatever means to an end was sought. How are our brains impressive enough to send a man off the planet, yet petty enough to encourage our current consumerised pretentious culture with humiliations that are only an "On" button on the TV away?

The endless white noise of the modern world seems an affront to the species as we are encouraged to sell more, or buy more, learn nothing aside from how to blend in to the machinery and avoid notice. I am completely lost in this modern country. I am a citizen of nowhere. Join me, so that I may lead you all into oblivion. I've already begun my jailbreak. I'm finished. I will fly a flag for no man.

·
T-MINUS
28,539 Posts

I'm with ya...

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm a fairly smart guy, so I find it infuritating that some of the smaller aspects in life are the ones I find so difficult to reconcile as an unwitting member of the human race. These obsessions that we assign ourselves to direct untold amounts of energy toward as we attribute growth to happiness confuses me. It seems to me we are all after some sort of perfection, whatever that internal perfection may be.

Yet by our very nature we are the most contradictory species on the planet. The balance is thinly veiled chaos, with the slightest variable inevitably upsetting whatever means to an end was sought. How are our brains impressive enough to send a man off the planet, yet petty enough to encourage our current consumerised pretentious culture with humiliations that are only an "On" button on the TV away?

The endless white noise of the modern world seems an affront to the species as we are encouraged to sell more, or buy more, learn nothing aside from how to blend in to the machinery and avoid notice. I am completely lost in this modern country. I am a citizen of nowhere. Join me, so that I may lead you all into oblivion. I've already begun my jailbreak. I'm finished. I will fly a flag for no man.
individuals have the knowledge and will to achieve these things. as a whole, the human race is trash :dunno:

·
duh...duh....duh
9,543 Posts
I blame the media, politicians, the judicial system, prison system extreme tree huggers and any dip wad that thinks murders, rapists...etc deserve human rights in prison.

·
DERP DERP DERP
36,645 Posts
lol wut

·
On a downward spiral
5,332 Posts
Dude, youre getting old.

·
Out
41,944 Posts
Eric,

Don't let the beauty of individuality and free will annoy you. These are what make life so great. The fact that anyone can accomplish or fail at anything makes goals and end products all that more worth while.

·
UNFUCKWITHABLE
12,482 Posts
Nothing wrong with this.

Self awareness is a bitch, eh? We’re not contradictory, we’re just victims of probability.

And you’re generalizing.

“How are our brains impressive enough to send a man off the planet, yet petty enough to encourage our current consumerised pretentious culture with humiliations that are only an "On" button on the TV away?”

Biology and psychology tell us those are not the same brains.

There is a “we” here on Earth, but “we” are not all the same. Sure, of the 3,600,000,000 people alive in 1969, a couple hundred of them had the wherewithal to get Neil, Buzz and Michael to the moon and back. But while that was going on there were people at the other end of the Bell Curve eating paint chips and throwing their own shit. And in the middle of it all were millions upon millions of people just hanging out with a passing interest in what other people were doing.

$5 says the rocket scientists of our day are not cut from the same cloth as the people that can’t miss a minute of American Idol or that continuously roll over negative equity on car after car after car until they are paying $160,000 for a ’06 Tahoe (true story I heard a couple days ago). Their DNA is still a jumble of Gs, Cs, As and Ts… but sequencing means the world.

Throughout history it has been an incredibly small cross-section of society that has cleared the proverbial trail and paved the way for human advancement.

There is a growing white noise because there is a growing population. Not everyone has the capacity, or even the basic desire, to help better the world around them. You have to keep these bodies busy while the new frontiers are explored and expanded.

No worries though, there are still rocket scientists, medical geniuses, etc out there doing their thing and changing the world. Though DFWstangs would have you believe that we’re actually slipping backwards, that’s not quite true. See: http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/headlines/

Society's busy work and your own life choices though... Two different wavelengths.
The endless white noise is a macro issue. Stick with the micro. Don't put so much stock in what other people do, what other people think or what other people expect of you. That perfection that you say all people are after... stick with your own version of that and let the rest fall by the wayside.

In short: Don't worry about flying a flag for anyone else. Fly your own. Shoot for that second or third standard deviation and don’t look back at the big hump in that graph.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Yep, being a sentient organism can be a bitch at times. However, I find the theory of reductionism and satire quite appealing. Therefore, I quote a great great man by the name of George Carlin - "It's all bullshit". Kick back and have a beer. Enjoy the ride until it fades to black.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts

lol. and garret called you complacent the other day...:rolleyes:

·
Aspiring Bean Counter.
12,279 Posts
Some people need Jesus; you need weed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.