DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased a intake and carb combo a 650 holley and an edelbrock rpm
do i need to change the fuel pump or get a fuel pressure reg and what about an inline fuel fiter your info will be much appreciated? :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Yah I am doing the same thing..... You will need to remove the in tank pump and get a inline pump.. Like a Holly Blue or something.... A sumped tank my be better....

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so do i need to get a gas tank from an older fox83 or so if i get an inline pump how will it feed from the bottom of the tank?

·
Registered
113 Posts
fwiw, If you put a duraspark in it, be sure it's got the right cam gear. One out of an '85 should work, otherwise I think you could use your old cam gear on the new distributor.

·
founder
1,196 Posts
To answer your Q you will need to get a intank pick-up tube witch goes into the tank where your fuelpump was and runs sraight to the bottem(so no tou dont need a new tank) I know cartech sells them I dont know who else. You will need an in-line pump and a carb regulator. Only other think I can think of is to be sure and get the dist.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
88'RAGTOP said:
i purchased a intake and carb combo a 650 holley and an edelbrock rpm
do i need to change the fuel pump or get a fuel pressure reg and what about an inline fuel fiter your info will be much appreciated? :eek:
Fuel line:
The correct way is to use all new fuel line, front to back with a minimum ID of 3/8.
Fuel line is something you want to put on once. So if you are planning on 450-500 HP then you really should consider using 1/2 ID. You can use aluminum feed line if you like (the cheapest), but it can be difficult to bend without getting kinked.
Pushlock hose (next to the cheapest) is much easier to install. Stainless steel braided line (most expensive) is really nice and for sure NHRA accepted. Just remember to run the fuel line to the inside of the frame rails per rules (i believe).

Fuel pressure regulators:
There are two types of FPR's. Dead head and bypass. The cheapest by far is a dead head regulator. This is the type of regulator that comes with a Holley blue or red pump. A lot of people will tell you that they work great. Blah. All those POS dead head fpr's do is create back pressure on your fuel pump which not only causes inconsistent fuel pressure, but also dramatically reduces pump life.
Bypass (return style) fpr's are better in that they not only significantly reduce back pressure (the fuel pump will live a longer life),but also help produce a more consistent fuel pressure. BUT you will have to run a return line back to the tank of at least the same size, but preferably a larger ID.

In tank pick-up:
You can use a stock one from an '84 mustang. But if you are shooting for higher HP levels and using a bigger (3/8 or 1/2 ID) fuel line , then you really need to at least use an aftermaket in-tank pickup like a Cartech brand. These are about $95 & up local, about $70 up on ebay. Using a stock pickup instead is like a running a marathon while trying to breathe through a straw.
The best thing to do is just use a sumped tank or a fuel cell. But you'll find yourself filling up more frequently do to fuel slosh, as when you apply your brakes, fuel will tend to move away from the pick up point.

Fuel filter:
You don't have to buy one of those $100 Aeromotive fuel filters. just go to a shop that specializes in circle track (oval) cars and buy one from them. (I got mine from Smiley's ,$65). You'll need a big fuel filter, about 8" long 2 1/2 " diameter. the bigger the better. Don't try to buy one of those POS dinky Russell looking see through filters that you get at Pep Boys or Auto Stoned. All those will do is help promote fuel pump cavitation and choke off fuel supply. Your car will also occasionally fall on it's face under hard acceleration due to lack of fuel supply.

This is the best way i have personally found to run a decent fuel system, but i do not know everything :) . There is a lot of different opinions on this subject, some people will even tell you to run the factory fuel pump.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
UNICORN said:
Fuel line:
Fuel pressure regulators:
There are two types of FPR's. Dead head and bypass. The cheapest by far is a dead head regulator. This is the type of regulator that comes with a Holley blue or red pump. A lot of people will tell you that they work great. Blah. All those POS dead head fpr's do is create back pressure on your fuel pump which not only causes inconsistent fuel pressure, but also dramatically reduces pump life.
Bypass (return style) fpr's are better in that they not only significantly reduce back pressure (the fuel pump will live a longer life),but also help produce a more consistent fuel pressure. BUT you will have to run a return line back to the tank of at least the same size, but preferably a larger ID.

Good Luck
i thought you could use a holley blue with a return style system. mine has to ports out, one port in. what is the second out port for?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
black90gt5.0 said:
i thought you could use a holley blue with a return style system. mine has to ports out, one port in. what is the second out port for?
Yes you can you a return style regulator with any electric fuel pump.
A basic return style regulator will have, one port in, one out, and two for feed to a carb for instance...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts