DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all is involved? I hate Ford's power steering. Everything always leaks and whines and leaks and whines...no matter how new it is. What all would I have to get to swap over to manual on my fox?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Forrest said:
just take your power steering pump off and cut the lines at the rack... ran mine like that for 3yrs w/ no problems.

or go get a manual rack at the JY for $30 and run it...

Forrest
have you ever driven a stang with a manuel rack? my shit is looped like your talking about and i hate it. it is not hard to steer but my buddies stang with the flaming river kit is 100x's nicer to drive.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
31,053 Posts
if you just bypass the power steering pump, then you're having to force the fluid through the rack manually... and if you looped the lines with fluid in there, you're having to do the same thing... that's why I said just cut the lines and leave them open to the atmosphere... much easier to turn...

you can also do the same thing w/ a 4cyl rack as it has a slower ratio.

yes, I've used manual racks as well... I've got three of them here at the house, and no I'm not selling any of them.

just offering up cheap advice. I think it's retarded to spend $300 on a manual rack when you can get one at a JY for $30

Forrest
 

·
World Record Holder!
Joined
·
11,061 Posts
I've got a Flaming River rack kit which included the rack, new ball joints and billit steering shaft. I got mine from JDs Performance. I didn't want to go junk yard diving and I wanted a complete kit. It went on easy enough. I had some problems with my Canton oil pan in the front of the motor but with a stock oil pan, you won't have any problems.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,175 Posts
Forrest said:
just offering up cheap advice. I think it's retarded to spend $300 on a manual rack when you can get one at a JY for $30

Forrest
How much better is the flaming river rack than the JY, or is flaming river just a bunch of show? If I could get steering that was just 50% of what power steering is on my 92 lx I would be happy, just to get rid of the damn power steering pump noise:mad:
 

·
World Record Holder!
Joined
·
11,061 Posts
stangcrazy said:
How much better is the flaming river rack than the JY, or is flaming river just a bunch of show? If I could get steering that was just 50% of what power steering is on my 92 lx I would be happy, just to get rid of the damn power steering pump noise:mad:
As far as being better, it just depends on how many miles the JY rack has on it. NAPA sells a manual rack for about $200 but I'm not sure on the part number. Denny is though. The high ratio Flaming river rack is not that bad. Parking lots and such is a pain in the ass but once under way you drive it pretty much like you did with the power rack.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,175 Posts
302_plus_a_few said:
The high ratio Flaming river rack is not that bad. Parking lots and such is a pain in the ass but once under way you drive it pretty much like you did with the power rack.
That is what I thought and my car right now just gets highway miles from Keller to Austin anyway, if I can get rid of this damn pump I would be happy:)

Damn, no smog pump, no A/C, no power steering pump, now that is what I'm talking about freeing up some power:D
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top