DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my '98 gt that has 46,500 miles on it if I were to install a supserchrger with all the other correct mods (new cam, intake, head swap, etc.) would it damage the engine any??? I take good care of the car matanance wise, so I would like to think to engine is in good shape. Please lemme know! Thanks-

·
I drive a fookin Honda
5,254 Posts
It's all about the tune. Detonation is NOT your friend. I personally would not go w/a power adder on any modular unless you are prepared to replace your motor. I'm not saying don't put the blower on your original motor. Just make sure you can afford a replacement shortly down the road if ya do boom bitch it.

DSS now offers a built modular shortblock for around $2K. Just factor in all the variables before you make the plunge.

G

·
It depends on the tune, how it's put together and how you drive it. Got Boost? has been making 426RWHP for several months now with no problems other than those he's caused ;)

·
Highly Compressed
2,386 Posts
You can run a supercharger without new heads, cam, intake, etc. You're forcing air with a s/c... not flowing it. Opening up the exhaust would help expel some of the extra gases. Some people make the mistake of putting in a new cam with too much duration when adding a s/c.... Big mistake...you actually lose boost pressure ahd hp....be careful... As far as the mileage, I had 45,000 miles on my 5.0 (I know its not a 4.6) when I installed a s/c. No problems to date. What's really critical is your total boost, fuel pressure, timing and fuel/air mixture....I second Matt93Cobra, detonation is not your friend....

·
Premium Member
15,928 Posts
I had a vortech on my 98 for 5 months, before i decided to sell the car. I had no problems except I kept blowing up intakes, but I was seeing 10+ psi. If you keep between 8-10, you should have no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.