DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends and I put my car back together over the weekend after it sat for about 6 months. The car will not start unless we spray some carb cleaner into the throttle body. When it starts, it runs and idles fine. I think maybe the gas has gone bad, but I'm not sure it would run at all if that was the case.

Any ideas? I don't know how fuel delivery on startup differs from fuel delivery while the engine is running. I'm afraid this may be a problem I chase for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
t is possible that the gas has gone bad, drain it and use new stuff. Also what did you set the tps at? is the tb idle screw completely backed off? what aout an IAC reset ?? Fuel pressure good??? alot of things can cause this we will need more info to be helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I added 4.5 gallons of new gas to the ~1.5 gallons of gas that was in the tank, and ran the car for a while. We set the TPS voltage correctly while the car was running. Fuel pressure is correct, and the idle set screw is completely backed off.

Still won't start. :(

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
the idle set screw should NOT be completely backed off, so turn it iin utill it moves the TB a little then reset the TPS and IAC.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the idle set screw in many different locations, did not make any difference. (car still would not start.) I do believe originally it did have the TB open a bit, and it was in that position when the tps was set.

I will put it back where it was, and ensure the tps voltage is right. How do you reset the IAC?

I may see if it will start with the stock TB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts