DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which gets the best gas mileage....a standard transmission or automatic?

My hubby and I have a bet..... If I lose, ummmmm well, let's say it won't be anything new but we don't do that very often ;)

JPS

·
DFWStangs' Patron Saint
6,599 Posts
Depends on the vehicle. Subaru automatics sometimes get better mileage than the manuals because of the front/rear torque split. The automatics have a 90/10 split, and the manuals have a 50/50 split.

Then there is the CVT.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I lose......

Well, we were comparing our son's 1985 Civic (automatic) to my 2003 Civic (standard). He said his son gets better gas mileage than I do. I said that's cuz we don't drive in the best gears possible and therefore, the automatic will get better. He said it's cuz the old car is so much smaller and lighter and that standard cars have better gas mileage.

God, I can't wait for the GT....cuz I know driving a little Civic is gonna get bashing remarks from you guys!

JPS
~ 3 weeks for the GT!

·
Texas Rangers #1
10,592 Posts
JPS said:
I lose......

Well, we were comparing our son's 1985 Civic (automatic) to my 2003 Civic (standard). He said his son gets better gas mileage than I do. I said that's cuz we don't drive in the best gears possible and therefore, the automatic will get better. He said it's cuz the old car is so much smaller and lighter and that standard cars have better gas mileage.

God, I can't wait for the GT....cuz I know driving a little Civic is gonna get bashing remarks from you guys!

JPS
~ 3 weeks for the GT!
There's nothing wrong with a Civic if used as a daily driver or a family car, just don't put 4ft tall wing, coffee can exhaust, and neon undercarraige lights and you'll be OK. :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kenny_Stang said:
There's nothing wrong with a Civic if used as a daily driver or a family car, just don't put 4ft tall wing, coffee can exhaust, and neon undercarraige lights and you'll be OK. :)

No, I have a very plain silver (hail dented) civic that will be our other son's car in a year. :)

JPS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts