DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few sets of spark plugs laying around but they've all been fouled out, 'specially the set i just pulled.

I blew the power valve in my carb last week & this resulted in some pretty black plugs. I cleaned them, they were just wet, not really any residue (besides gas) on the tips so i figured id slap them back in since they'd only been in the motor for 1 month (10 miles) anyhow. Well, I THOUGHT i replaced the blown power valve, but i replaced with with another blown power valve (i had one laying around in the garage and thought it was good b/c i had previously removed it thinkin it was blown last year but wasnt REALLY sure if it was at the time). This time it really fukt up my plugs. They're black, all over. The porcalin (sp) is even black. I really dont care to buy another set of plugs right now, i will after this weekend. But is there any way to clean them besides just soacking them in gas? Is running a little sand paper on the tips (bottom & top) and on the porcalin to remove the black residue on them?

Also, with a blown power valve, should the car atleast idle? Before i pulled this one, the car wouldnt even idle. I couldnt even barley get it started, assuming it was dumping waaay too much fuel. But when i had the 2nd one blow (last week, 1st one in awhile) It would atleast idle but would be blowing smoke out the ass end while @ idle. Now I have to floor it to even get it started and it will NOT hold an idle. It will immediatly die and sounds like its running on 2 cylinders.. Hopefully b/c of the fouled out spark plugs ?

Thanks.

·
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE
4,427 Posts
cleaning plugs

At northern supply they sell a tiny sand blaster for plugs cheap.
Comit cleaner and the wifes toothbrush worked ok for mine back when we were dirtbike racing.

Busted diaphrams in power valves lets fuel leak in to the intake. A small leak causes rough idle, big leaks cause flooding. Check valve adjustments for being too tight and timing if it backfires through the carb. Use plug wire seperators and don't tie the plug wires together without seperators on them. msd makes some of the best looking and easiest to use plug wire seperators

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So they should be ok after a little scrubbing and cleaning?

Should i try to make the porcalin white again? I know the tips will just be shiney b/c ive done it to one of them testing it out..

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, I had the Distrubtor Rotor 180 degrees off , thats the reason it popped out the carb..

Also, Any idea on what Size Power valve i should go with this time?

They had a 8.5 but i thought that was a little high?

I had a 6.5 originally and replaced it with that..

I think my vaccum was around 14, so shouldnt a 7 be ok?

BTW, what exactly do these numbers mean? Is this @ which point the power valve opens and begins to release fuel into the intake? But when its blow, it constantly lets it by?

Thanks!

BTW, I had the same blower as you on my old setup (Your car influeneced me into getting it And talking to you), Your car Shits and gets @ The track!

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im probably just going to buy new ones today instead of messing around with those other plugs..

Any suggestions on which plug to buy? Car will be on a 150 shot, soon to be 200 when correctly running.

·
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE
4,427 Posts
p.v. size

the number is the point it opens , 6.5 opens when the vac drops from 14 or 15 inches to 6.5 inches. You need to see what the cruising vac is and make the pv be less than the cruiseing vac. so it dosen't open unless it's really needed for the power. 6.5 is stock

We have about 700 runs on this current 351w. we are gonna tear it down and build another combo for next year, higher compression and a larger cam and use this current motor as a spare. I need a set of h-beam 351w rods for this new motor.

thanks

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: p.v. size

jyro said:
I need a set of h-beam 351w rods for this new motor.

thanks
I remember you telling me that the motor had already been through a year with that setup, and that had to be over a year ago. You're sure getting some good times/numbers/life out of the motor! You're also REALLY spinning that charger, arent you? Im sure Alcohol helps keep that intake nice and frosty though ;)

BTW, how fast does it really burn? just curious..

·
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE
4,427 Posts
how fast?

we have 5 pullys for the blower, for all fall we have been running the #3 pully, we can go 2 smaller or 2 larger. The car is shifted at 5400 and it goes across the line at around 5800, this is with 3.55 gears and 28.5 tires. the speed as around 130. The blower speed is about 10,000 rpm, with this pully #3 pully we have around 8 lbs of boost, with the smallest pully it's about 13 lbs
Alky burns slow and we need to have more timing at rpm, haven't figured out how to do it yet but will by next year. We have run 19 degrees total timing since we switched it over to alky. at 6000 rpm it needs 32 or so. Need a msd timing computer , a 8681-- I think is the number.
we ran 10.19 and 10.22 last friday night at ennis
later

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: how fast?

jyro said:

Alky burns slow and we need to have more timing at rpm, haven't figured out how to do it yet but will by next year. We have run 19 degrees total timing since we switched it over to alky. at 6000 rpm it needs 32 or so.
Can you change this by the 'stop bushings' in the distrubtor? I know My MSD has a red bushing, black, silver, and blue.. All of them change the final amount of Timing that is added, some add more, some add less. The springs change @ what RPM It begins advance.. And i know you know all that.. ;)

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: timing

Hey, I just put in the new power valve and the new plugs, went with one step colder Champion plugs (out of AC Delcos) and the car is still running pretty rich, smoking @ idle..

Any ideas besdies float levels are off, theyre ok.

·
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE
4,427 Posts
rich

look in the carb while it's running and make sure fuel isn't dripping out the venturi while it's idling, did you adjust the idle mixture screws?

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: rich

No, havent messed with anything.

Ive noticed for awhile when i turn off the car, smoke comes out of the carb, i can easily blow it out and it disappers, just vapor ?

·
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE
4,427 Posts
drive it over

don't know where you live but I'll look at it for ya if you'll drive it over to Midlothian

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: drive it over

jyro said:
don't know where you live but I'll look at it for ya if you'll drive it over to Midlothian
thanks! I got her running though (not that itd make it that far anyhow) .. Roller Rocker Decided to loosen up and i guess was doing something, who knows, but its running great now (for now)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts