DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
10% Real Fruit Juice
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
movie stars earn millions upon millions of dollars a year...

professional athletes earn millions upon millions of dollars a year...

why do the men and women of the armed services, that risk dying for our freedom, get paid so shitty ???

and we think TEACHERS are underpaid (they are, but you get the point).

·
duh...duh....duh
9,543 Posts
Yeah, often wondered that...but in reality, it would be hard to pay thousands of people millions a year. :) Also, officers make a good income. The enlisted do not. In my case, when I got out and started working as a civilian I was make 3x what I made in the military...now it is much better income. However, for some people military pay is good.

My biggest wonder is why prisoners have a better life then a lot of the military. I pondered that for about 2 hours while in pouring rain, pulling guard duty at an airfield during my last month. Would you believe that they still try to re-up you during after all that?

Fact is though, I would not being very good if it was not for the Army. The key is to take advantage of every opportunity offered. However, it is ashame that people make millions for playing a game or acting...but people who die for doing government service make very little. That's the way things are though.

Take care,

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
People in the entertainment industry are a certain breed: Greedy and doing their job for the money, nothing else. We as consumers condone this greed by paying for the movies, DVDs, exc.

Armed Forces are a certain breed: they do their job for their counrtry, not the money. Therefore, they will do it no matter what the pay. It is a calling.

Until we (citizens) stand up for our troops, and are willing to spend our exrta $$ on taxes instead of entertainment, nothing will change.

·
UFO Club Member
1,527 Posts
Depends on how you look at it. From the avg guy who wanted to be a basketball player but couldn't cut it. He pays to see the best play and still wishes he was the best so this state of mind leaves Americans with this persona that you want your atheletes or movies starts to live a lifestyle above you. because you believe they are better or superior than you at a certain job or sport you accept that they should live "like a rockstar"

On the other hand my best friend serves in the Army and is headed to Iraq in December (maybe not if he is lucky) and he doesnt get paid a lot. I wish he was paid more but there are so many soilders , you or I could become one tomorrow (after bootcamp I know) and therefore it's not an impossibility for you to get off the couch and serve your country. Yes it's not fair but from a totally freud sort of outlook, Americans, or people in general, believe cetain people who can do extrodinary things that the average peoson has tried or is intereseted in deserve better, and we respect their talents with the universal sign....$$$

·
10% Real Fruit Juice
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ceyko said:
Yeah, often wondered that...but in reality, it would be hard to pay thousands of people millions a year. :) Also, officers make a good income. The enlisted do not. In my case, when I got out and started working as a civilian I was make 3x what I made in the military...now it is much better income. However, for some people military pay is good.

My biggest wonder is why prisoners have a better life then a lot of the military. I pondered that for about 2 hours while in pouring rain, pulling guard duty at an airfield during my last month. Would you believe that they still try to re-up you during after all that?

Fact is though, I would not being very good if it was not for the Army. The key is to take advantage of every opportunity offered. However, it is ashame that people make millions for playing a game or acting...but people who die for doing government service make very little. That's the way things are though.

Take care,
i understand our military personnel can't make millions, but the gov. could do more. it just disheartens me. i too served, usmc 98 -03.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Usmc

I too served six years in Marine Corps and loved the opportunities it offered me. I gave the gov't $1200 and I am getting $36k for college. While I was in they paid 75% of all college I took and I got to visit 27 countries. All medical was paid for and they provided me with a direction in life. The pay did suck but I would not trade those six years to be an overpaid, whining athlete or a spoiled actor.

SEMPER FIDELIS!

·
10% Real Fruit Juice
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick '91 GT said:
I too served six years in Marine Corps and loved the opportunities it offered me. I gave the gov't $1200 and I am getting $36k for college. While I was in they paid 75% of all college I took and I got to visit 27 countries. All medical was paid for and they provided me with a direction in life. The pay did suck but I would not trade those six years to be an overpaid, whining athlete or a spoiled actor.

SEMPER FIDELIS!
good post. nice way to look at it. i too opted for the G.I. bill. is yours really worth 36k ? i need to go ahead and start using mine then...

·
Premium Member
29,396 Posts
I concur that this is ludicrous. Also teachers and people that usually make an impact on our lives when we are young (with the exception of our parents) dont make much. It doesnt seem to bother them though. They are not driven by money, rather they have big hearts. But I agree, Athletes and celebrities are fucking way overpaid and dont deserve a fraction of what they make.

·
Registered
596 Posts
TonyMCev said:
good post. nice way to look at it. i too opted for the G.I. bill. is yours really worth 36k ? i need to go ahead and start using mine then...
Yeah!! I am enrolled in 12 credit hours and i get a check for $1004 each month. That is my money to do whatever with. You still have to pay your own tuition and all, but at a community college....one check pays for books and tution. It last for 36 mnths at a full time rate. Every October (fiscal yr) the amount rec'vd goes up.....check it out or pm me for more details......

·
10% Real Fruit Juice
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick '91 GT said:
Yeah!! I am enrolled in 12 credit hours and i get a check for $1004 each month. That is my money to do whatever with. You still have to pay your own tuition and all, but at a community college....one check pays for books and tution. It last for 36 mnths at a full time rate. Every October (fiscal yr) the amount rec'vd goes up.....check it out or pm me for more details......
well i am about to leave. i will not be back home probably until tomorrow evening. i will pm you then and get some more details. thanks brother. semper fi...

·
ebay pimp
4,360 Posts
You'll frequently find those who contribute the most to society are paid the least,and face grave consequences for failure. Good examples
Cops
Firefighters
Armed Forces
Teachers
Day care workers

On the flip side those who contribute virtually nothing to society are paid staggering wages, and face little to no consequences for failure.
Entertainers
pro athletes

But this is America, where the incompetent become management, worthless people get what they DON'T deserve, and the good never move ahead.

Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts