DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
wild man
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ihave a 1995 gt with heads an cam ,i do not have a timming light but have been playing with the timming i have bumped it up some ,but not sure when to stop ,i do not hear detontion at all should i bump up till i hear detonation or should i set at a certain number like 14,or so.An can it hurt the performance if the timming is too advanced but not showing detonation. detonating.thanks an yes have been pulling the spout;)

·
Highly Compressed
2,409 Posts
When you get a timing light, make sure you pull the gray plug out of the single wire connector located immediately above the harness connector for the ignition module. I made the mistake of leaving it in when I had just bought my Mustang and was playing around with it.....the computer tries to correct for engine idle speed with it connected so you never know where your base timing is....the gray/black module plug has to be removed for correct base timing adjustment! Of course this is all unecessary if you are powertiming it by moving the distributor by hand and listening for detonation on hard acceleration. Just make sure you are turning the distributor clockwise....counterclockwise retards the timing......:D

·
wild man
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
timming

so i can keep bummping it till i here something ping,i was just wanting to make sure even though i did not hear a ping that i was not over advancing it.

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Get a light, its not worth your motor to go by ear , specially being a novice.

You're not going to immediatly hear pinging when bumping the timing up.

Just play it safe, buy a light, or borrow one (ive got 2), and get it timed right and save yourself a headache.

Id say set it @ 14 and see how it does, assuming you're running 93. Also your car will probably take a little more timing in this cooler weather (about to come up).

You can also move it to its highest RPM point and go untill it starts to lose RPM and back it off 2 rpm, again not adviced, get a light.

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Oxidizer187 said:
Once you advance the timing too far it will detonate. As long as it is not detonating you are fine.
I think he thinks that he will hear the detonation while moving the timing. It will be under load (while moving , running through the gears)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Five Point Slow said:
I think he thinks that he will hear the detonation while moving the timing. It will be under load (while moving , running through the gears)
Yes thanks for adding that. If he was listening for it at idle he might end up with base timing of 36 degrees.:D

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Oxidizer187 said:
Yes thanks for adding that. If he was listening for it at idle he might end up with base timing of 36 degrees.:D
haha,

I guarantee he has it to high right now.

·
wild man
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
running it

well when i play with the timming i bump a hair then get out and get on it ,but so far there has been no sign of detonation.plus when the car was set it was at 17with the spout in ,then backed it to 12 an now bumping it up a little,an the reason i had it backed to 12 was i had a hanging idle problem an thought the timming was too high,but found the problem so have been bumping it up ,the car also has a chip an i called dallas mustang an they said i could bump it till i heard detonation as well.,

·
Lethal Injection
1,396 Posts
why not the chip

why would he get rid of his chip????i thought the sn 95 cars suck without it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts