DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tha Closer
1,494 Posts
There is no way anyone would be aloud to fly that in anything other then an air show..... It is more then likely going to be in some rich guys museum.

·
None
12,675 Posts
You can fly it pretty much like any other aircraft, but you have additional regulations you have to adhere strictly too or risk complete revokation of both the air certificate and your license.

Basically, you can only fly (without advance notice to the FAA) within 600 miles of your home airfield. You can only do this for maintainence or training reasons (i.e. round trip...no flying to Shreveport for the day and flying back).

If you want to do something like that, you have to file a flight plan with the FAA WAY in advance and you get to meet some major limitations such as strict altitude adherence (+/- 1000 ft) and a pretty severe speed limit.

Given that it's illegal to break the sound barrier over US soil, the only place to really do go flying like a nutcase is over inernational waters. So unless you live on the coast it's going to be a museum exhibit.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Chris98GT said:
You can fly it pretty much like any other aircraft, but you have additional regulations you have to adhere strictly too or risk complete revokation of both the air certificate and your license.

Basically, you can only fly (without advance notice to the FAA) within 600 miles of your home airfield. You can only do this for maintainence or training reasons (i.e. round trip...no flying to Shreveport for the day and flying back).

If you want to do something like that, you have to file a flight plan with the FAA WAY in advance and you get to meet some major limitations such as strict altitude adherence (+/- 1000 ft) and a pretty severe speed limit.

Given that it's illegal to break the sound barrier over US soil, the only place to really do go flying like a nutcase is over inernational waters. So unless you live on the coast it's going to be a museum exhibit.
Hmm...very interesting. Glad to see there is 'some' sort of laws and limitations. But like those have ever truly stopped someone...:rolleyes:

Good post.

·
None
12,675 Posts
DfwSHO said:
Hmm...very interesting. Glad to see there is 'some' sort of laws and limitations. But like those have ever truly stopped someone...:rolleyes:

Good post.
Trust me, the FAA is worse than the IRS when it comes to fucking with people. The last thing any pilot wants to see is a representative of the FAA coming to talk to them about a "situation". They'll pull your license for a year for the most mionor violation while they "review" the situation.

With major airports monitoring radar, the last thing the FAA wants is a fast-mover interfering with commercial airline traffic....many lives at stake all because a rich dude in a MIG wants to play fighter jock.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I thought all you had to have was an LOA from the Fed's DE stating that you were proficient in the aircraft. After that it is my impression you can do with it what you want. Just no 250 kts blo 10K and >200 in class B, other than that just don't pop the sound barrier unless your 10+ miles offshore over international waters. I've seen a Few F-86's, A-4's, Mig's and various Eastern bloc A/C out burning holes in the sky on a Sunday afternoon that were not at an airshow. And these guys know what they are doing or they would become headline news on a regular basis.

·
None
12,675 Posts
Within 600 miles of home, it's pretty lenient as to your altitude and speed due to the practice and training option...as long as you land back where you took off. Once you start doing one way hops, they crack down on what you're supposed to be doing since you'll be traded off to different controllers along your flight path. At home, you pretty much stick with the same controlling airport.

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
There is a guy on another forum whos brother is selling that. Well his step brother. The guy who owns it is a trust fund kid, whos mom is some silicon valley millionaire, like upwards of 500 mil I think. The guy is buying an su27 and selling this to make room. He supposedly flys these for the air force as an agressor squadron type thing, the government lets him handle it because its cheaper to let private collector enthusiasts care for these and then allow them to fly and train with the air force.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts