DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LUCIFER
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to start the landscaping around the house. I'm about to get everything from the front yard taken out and starting fresh. I'm not sure what to go with for my retaining wall though, there's so many colors/stones/etc I'm just not familiar with this stuff.

My neighbor has a flagstone I believe and after a year it's already cracking and breaking in several areas, I don't want that. He paid like $700 for his too!

My house is yellow so I feel I'd need a little darker stone to accent it. Also, I don't want to break the bank in the process.

Any ideas on choices?? :irked:

·
How you doin'
28,254 Posts
give this guy a call...i've had him do a few projects for myself and some family members, and he does an excellent job. he put in stone/brick flower beds and mailboxes at two of my houses and put in a really cool flagstone walkway at my mother-in-law's house as well as a nice mailbox and some stone columns for her gazebo. he has a book with pictures of work that he's done (flower beds, outdoor kitchens, walkways, etc) and he has some great ideas. i just had him come up with the designs on his own and they look fantastic.

here's his info:

jose solis
(469)321-9450

tell him that brad in wylie sent you.

·
Registered
414 Posts
use oklahoma chopped. it brown and goes with everything

·
duh...duh....duh
9,543 Posts
We used stone similar to this...

They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. We built ours on our own and frankly I'd probably do it again. There are a lot of little things you can do to make them stronger and last awhile and I'm just not certain the lower cost "pros" do shit like that....then there is not guarantee the higher cost ones will either.

Anyway, those type of stones have lips on them to help hold their position as well and they are somewhat easy to place.

·
duh...duh....duh
9,543 Posts
Hey go buy the this month's handyman magazine. They have around 6 or 7 pages talking about stones for retaining walls.

·
Slingin rock on da corner
3,451 Posts
Gimme a call, 903-868-3515, I manage a stone yard here in Sherman, we're not too far apart.

I can show you all types of stone suitable for your job, and give recommendations on stone layers from the area if you need them.

My name's Matt, and the number I gave is the office number. My cell is
903-818-8127, if it's after hours.

Also, there is a thread somewhere where someone was asking about stone, and I proceeded to type up a description of damn near every stone we carry, along with rough prices and coverages. I just couldn't find it when I searched for it.

·
Slingin rock on da corner
3,451 Posts
Here is my post from that other thread

I sell all kinds of different flagstone, in 1", 1.5", and 2" thicknesses; mainly for use on patios, walkways, so on and so forth. I have it in different earthtone colors, i.e brown, tan, blonde-sandy tan, chocolatey browns, some mixed with orange tones. I also have a pink/red colored flagstone from Colorado, and a blue/grey flagstone from the Oklahoma/Arkansas line. They vary in price from $175 per ton all the way up to $275 per ton. Anything 2" thick will cover roughly 80 square feet per ton, the 1.5" will cover roughly 100-110 square feet per ton, and the 1" will cover roughly 120-130 square feet per ton.

For projects such as edging a flower bed, we have the chopstones. Again, I have it in a variety of colors; in fact all the same colors as what I listed for the flagstones, but including the white (limestone), limestone with rusty color, gray, a tan/champagne color, the creamy brown/tan of the Milsap, some darker earth colors with moss on them, a purple colored one, that is irregular in dimensions, along with a golden brown of the same properties. Also, I have one called Painted Desert Chop, which has purple, green, whitish tan, reddish tan, and orange, all mixed together. As far as price goes, they run from $125 per ton on the low end, to $240 per ton on the high end. Any chopstone 4" thick will cover roughly 40 square feet per ton, with a few exceptions due to density versus the weight of individual pieces. Most 4" tall chopstones will run 120 linear feet per ton, 6" tall will get around 100, and 8" tall will get around 80, again with a few exceptions.

Construction; houses, commercial buildings, etc. Most chopstones are suitable for going up the walls of a house, if you want the more uniform, regular look. If you want a more random, rustic look, we have what we call building stone, or field stone. Basically, it's flagstone, but thick as shit. Around 4" thick. All the same colors as I listed for flag stone, but including the white austin. The fieldstone runs in price from $140 per ton up to $205 per ton, and covers roughly 40 square feet per ton.

Landscaping; almost any stone can be used for landscaping, but what we consider landscaping stone are boulders (big and small, mossy), creek rock (tan earthtones) and Colorado River rock (small, smooth, and multicolored). This stuff can range in price from $150 per ton up to $180 per ton, with 1 item costing up to $335 per ton. Basically, just decoration for your yard. The mossy boulders can be from the size of a baseball or softball, up to a volleyball, then up to the point where it takes two or three people to flip one over. Then, the next step up is the size where equipment is required to move them. The Colorado River Rock runs in size from 2", 2-4", 3-6", and 5-8". The creek rock we don't really have separated by any particular size, but think from fist sized to basketball sized.

We also recently started selling bulk material: Pro Bedding Mix ($40), Hardwood Mulch($30), Top Soil ($25), Granite Sand ($55), 1" and 5/8" Granite ($55),
3/8" Granite ($45), Concrete Sand ($45), Native Pea Gravel ($55), Rocky Mountain River Rock ($200), Native River Rock ($55), Masonry Sand ($25), and Decomposed Granite ($55). All Prices on these materials are by the cubic yard.

Anything else yall wanna know, feel free to ask.

·
LUCIFER
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We used stone similar to this...

They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. We built ours on our own and frankly I'd probably do it again. There are a lot of little things you can do to make them stronger and last awhile and I'm just not certain the lower cost "pros" do shit like that....then there is not guarantee the higher cost ones will either.

Anyway, those type of stones have lips on them to help hold their position as well and they are somewhat easy to place.

Decided on stone like this, Windsor Stone to be exact. Has a redish color to it. Lowe's has it for $1.84 each, I'll be needing about 125-130 stones.

Considering doing this myself, I'm being quoted $675 from a Landscape Comp. That's stones with install. I can get the stones myself for about $225, is it worth $400+ to have someone else do it? Also, I have no idea what I'm doing! LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts