DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MFFL!
15,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When listing work experience, how far back should you list? I only ask that because I've been with my current position for 6 years. I've also been in 5 different departments during that time with a ton of different responsibilities. I've only listed the pertinent ones though. Previous employer was USAF. But by the time I list a brief description of each position + USAF, the education and awards ends up on page 3. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
whatever you do keep it to 1 page. The resumer doesnt have to list all your skills just enough description to peak the employers interest to get you an interview.

·
Pro-Israel; Pro-War
582 Posts
mustang_marc said:
When listing work experience, how far back should you list? I only ask that because I've been with my current position for 6 years. I've also been in 5 different departments during that time with a ton of different responsibilities. I've only listed the pertinent ones though. Previous employer was USAF. But by the time I list a brief description of each position + USAF, the education and awards ends up on page 3. Suggestions?
3-4 is plenty....i used to hate having to read several pages of somebody trying to describe their position as a beverage engineer when all they did was make coffee etc.....be succinct and to the point. try to get 2 pages max.

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
Back when I was in my twenties, I listed everything, from electrician to programmer. Just to show progression. But, the farther the job away from the current year, the less I talked about it. Electrician became a one line entry.

But, now, I only list relevance of what I'm seeking. To show progression of responsbility.

·
98 SVT Cobra
5,109 Posts
Employers are most interested in what you did recently. If you have a long career history, focus on the last 10 years 15 max. If your early career is important to your current goal, briefly mention the experience without going into the details. Also, I would try to keep it to no more then 2 pages. Employers are not going to sit and read through 3 or 4 pages of your life history.

G

·
I disagree, it's all in presentation of the resume...

Mine is four pages...

First page is a skills summary, then two page work history, then third page is certifications, education, references, etc...

Everything you need to know about me is in the skill set and it's on the first page, and if that peeks interest then there are three more pages about me.

I've hired and fired before, managed techs, and I can't say one way or another whether i liked 1 pagers or 5 pagers, it's all in how the resume is setup. If you had a cookie cutter MS Word template resume, I would leave it for last, I looked for someone that took some extra effort.

·
The Alpha Omega Frog
8,333 Posts
I cant possibly make my resume only one page! I chopped it down from three to two and I think its perfect that length. ;)

So perfect....Im hosting about 4 different offers for jobs right now. :D :D :D

·
Other half of bitter
7,141 Posts
i disagree too.....mine is a full two pages and i left quite a lot out to get it down to that.......

what i found that helps most is showing how you impacted a company through your position.....so make bullet points like this explaining your responsibilities....say "resulted in increased sales of X amount, led to improved process blah blah.....

·Managed design of and drafted all content for three new websites, resulting in the first website launch for the organization since its inception 20 years ago

·Managed and developed media and analyst relations which led to the facilitation of multiple press/analysts interviews and briefings each week

·Supported cost analysis/pricing strategy, leading to renewed price structure and increased revenue

Include at least two bullets under each position, but no more than say 4-5. Show progression and promotions within....include professional training, certifications, seminars etc.

G

·
Tiny Tim said:
i think it depends more on where you are in your career.. if you have 10 years experience your resume is going to be longer... cause it has to be.. mine is only one page since I just graduated from college.. i can fit most of my info on there.
something like this i presume

John

Education
SMU

Work Experience
None

Skills
Can reach the top shelf without a step stool
First to know when it's raining
Can fall out of chairs at bars
Drinks like a fish

Desired Salary
$250,000 / year

References
www.dfwstangs.net ask about Tiny Tim

·
Other half of bitter
7,141 Posts
Silverback said:
something like this i presume

John

Education
SMU

Work Experience
None

Skills
Drinks like a fish

Desired Salary
$250,000 / year

References
LMFAO!!! you forgot- "falls ocassionally"

·
Timmay
4,898 Posts
more like..

Jon

Education
SMU

Work Experience
KFC (free food)

Skills
Drinks like a fish
ability to do several consecutive jon shots
ability to clean ceiling fans without a step stool
can finish a supermonster at freebirds

Desired Salary
$1.1M / year

References

·
Other half of bitter
7,141 Posts
Silverback said:
read smarter not harder....
ok smartass! it's friday at 4pm, don't expect too much outta me! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts