DFW Mustang Forums banner

REM 700..A man killer.

3K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  03trubluGT 
#1 ·
Watching MadMoney, The only time I'm ever on CNBC.

Sounds like NBC is trying to scare people about the Remington 700.

The commercial said "We will show you why on sheriff has already pulled the rifle off the shelf."

Now, the general ignorant population will view the REM 700 as some mad man's rifle..

The show name is "Remington Under Fire: A CNBC investigation"

#14 ·
I suggest that everyone watch the report. It is not at all anti-gun, but certainly anti corporate irresponsibility.

I lost a lot of respect for Remington. Even the creator of the 700 (a man pushing 100 years old who still goes shooting) said there is a problem with his design, but that Remington blew off his suggestion to curtail the problem... because it would cost 5 cents per gun.

#19 ·
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2YFIwoZsWHk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2YFIwoZsWHk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

#21 ·
I have currently have four model 700s and have owned maybe 20 of them; if a 40x uses the same trigger then I currently have 6 of them. I have never had an AD with any of them and I have been shooting them extensively for 27 years in some very adverse conditions. I believe that they are as safe as any other gun in the world.

The "5 cents" to fix the problem sounds like some BS that a trail lawyer will say to get the jury pissed off at the company.

#23 ·
Honestly this is the media working toward what obama wants and trying to play them, firearms, off as unsafe, since they have failed at every other way towards banning firearms...I have owned numerous remingtons and have never had a problem, I am not saying freak accidents haven't happened, but I am also saying they will interview someone for an hour and then splice in 30 seconds of this and that and totally manipulate what they were actually saying...screw the liberal media. The 1st Kimber handgun I owned would fire the first round it chambered without me squeezing the trigger, scared the hell out of me, Kimber had me ship them the handgun and gave me a Custom Covert II. they admitted their mistake and made it right, the media would spin this to say all of them were a problem and should be removed from the shelves. As far as the weapon discharging and going through the wall and hitting some kid in the chest, they will never admit the person handling the weapon made any mistake. It couldnt have been their fault at all...

#24 · (Edited)
Honestly this is the media working toward what obama wants... since they have failed at every other way towards banning firearms... screw the liberal media...the media would spin this to say...

This is what ultra conservative politically inept Texans actually believe.

#30 · (Edited)
I'd like to point out a few things:

I have yet to see the special about Remington. I like CNBC as a channel and feel that generally they give everyone a fair shake because they are a business channel. Personally, I think it is one of the best channels on television. You can't tell me that CNBC has some hidden liberal agenda when one of its commentators in the morning, Rick Santelli, basically sparked the Tea Party movement with his rant about government bailouts and many of the CEOs that come on as guests, like Jack Welsh or Ken Langone, go crazy talking about how the liberals have created an environment that is hostile to business.

Secondly, while it makes for a great soundbite saying that a "$.05 part would have fixed the gun", let's just pump the fucking brakes a little and remember that this gun was first produced in 1962. $.05 back then was a lot more than it is now and that was also a different era when we didn't live in a fucking nanny state. Cars didn't even come with seat belts back then.

Last, as a show of support and to vote with my wallet on this issue, I believe I will go out and buy a Remington 700. I have shot them but have never owned one. My only question is should it be, .300 Winchester magnum or .308 Winchester? I already have an M1A and it is .308 is why I consider the .308. Plus you can get the 700 with a threaded barrel and a suppressor for the .308 too ;)

#34 ·
I currently have 6 different 700's. They are all older than I am (31 yrs old). I have never had an unintentional discharge.

My father will only collect 700 series. He has never had an UD.

The only issue I have ever personally encountered was having the chamber weld shut from using overloaded rounds in a 7mm magnum that winchester packaged that were recalled. We wanted to see what would happen, so we shot them.

It took 4 rounds without hesitation. The 5th round shot and a small puff of smoke came from the chamber. That was all she wrote.

#39 ·
That shit is expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.