DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my wheel on the right side sticks out about half of an inch further on the right side than on the left side. Is there something that causes this? Can the rear alignment be adjusted? I want to go with a wider tire, but when I do it will be even more obviouse when one wheel is even with the fender and the other is still under it. Any help would be appreciated. And it is a 2000 GT.

Thanks

·
Sir Clavin
3,106 Posts
Negative. With your 2000 GT, you will not be able to align the rear of the vehicle. The only explanation as to why that would happen is because you have a suspension component that is bent or broken, or some other flaw from the factory.

The way that your vehicle should be aligned is by checking to see that you have basically a straight rear axle, or no 'thrust angle' as compared to the geometric centerline. If they do not do it this way and you have a thrust angle problem, the your steering wheel would just be off center when the vehicle is tracking straight down the road.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't noticed my steering wheel being off center. I will check when I get off of work. Also, my rear shocks are shot. Is it possible that if one is worse than the other or bent, that it could possibly cause this?

Thanks

·
Sir Clavin
3,106 Posts
It is highly unlikely that one of your shocks is bent and that would definitely not cause the rear-end to be off center. If you did enough damage to bend a shock, then there are other things damaged on the car. Your shocks being shot will not alter ride height or any suspension geometry.

Not trying to scare you or anything. A 1/2 inch variance from side to side is not a huge deal, compare your car to other new GT's and see if any of them seem to have the same problem. If your car drives straight, and does not show any abnormal tire wear especially on the rear, it is not something that i would be too worried about.

Did you buy the car new?? Has it ever been in a wreck??

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually hydro-planes into a curb over a year ago, but it wasn't off then. I checked VERY well after it was fixed. One more ? Is it possible that the lowering springs not being in could cause this? I doubt it, but I'm just exploring all possibilities.

Thanks for the help. It is very appreciated.

·
Sir Clavin
3,106 Posts
One easy thing you could do is check how it is after you say pull into your driveway after a right or left hand turn. The chances are that something else has happened related to your hydro-planing incident. Lift the car, remove the wheels and look at everything; shocks, springs, upper/lower control arms, bushings, especially the mounting points of the control arms. Check the tire wear too. Run your hand across the top of the tread side ways and see if you feel a sharp edge in one direction and smoothness in the other.

·
Still got Nothing
2,710 Posts
Is it possible that the lowering springs not being in could cause this? I doubt it, but I'm just exploring all possibilities. [/B]

Did you unbolt any of the control arms when you put the springs in? If so, did you put the car back on the ground before you tightened the bolts back up. If not, your suspension maybe binding and causing this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts