DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
fox bodies rule
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new one and it is was still leaking, I tore the whole car apart to check and I am sure of it. Has anyone had this problem and what to do about it?

·
Keep your unicorns
12,421 Posts
Yeah I've had it happen. Either the seal was installed incorrectly or the crankshaft has a groove worn into the sealing surface. Buy a new seal and find a seal installer, this insures that the seal is installed correctly. Oh yeah don't forget to make sure the sealing surface is well lubricated. If the crank is grooved then you still have options, there are "crank savers" available for certain applications as well as offset seals. I don't know how many Mercedes Benz V8s I've seen that needed the funky seal installed:)

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Re: ?

0393GT said:
I've never heard of a seal installer.?
It's just a piece of flexible plastic that comes with some seals. You slide the seal around the plastic piece when installing it onto the crank.

I recently replaced my seal and I think it's leaking too. :(

·
I gots famous friends
9,206 Posts
I am assuming you have a 351 W with a 2 piece seal. When I got my block from Keith Craft, brand new, it leaked the first time I fired it up.

I got in there once and replaced it and it still leaked.

I got in there again and replaced it, this time I clocked the seal just a tad so that the ends of the seal do not meet up with the edges of the main cap and block. You don't have to go crazy with the offset, just about 3/8" or so will be fine.

I also used a Napa seal 2nd time around, and I used the slightest dab of good gasket sealer at the outer edge of the cap where it meets the block. So far I don't have a leak.

·
Keep your unicorns
12,421 Posts
Man I was assuming this was a 1 piece rear main seal, never mind.

·
I gots famous friends
9,206 Posts
Re: yea

0393GT said:
It is a one piece on a 302! thanks for all of your help.
OK I was misled by your username..... LOL... well if you ever have a 351 based motor there's your solution... !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts