DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
get8ch
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
question on 331 stroker combo

Plan is to get a built 331 shortblock -

Already have twisted wedge heads and planning on using a Holley system max or the new edelbrock performer rpm II intake - and probably go with a custom grind cam to go along with the combo -

Wanting to get this motor in the 10's all motor if possible - Can it be done? - If so - what recommendations or suggestions can you give me to get there? Motor will be going in a 93 coupe

TIA

·
Jetting the Fogger
1,052 Posts
Sure it can be done. Is it going to be a street/strip car or mainly a dedicated race car? You'll need to do a nice port and polish on the heads and intake. I would suggest a solid roller cam that will go well with your heads and intake. If this car is going to be street driven, I would suggest a hydraulic roller cam. Milled heads and some customs pistons will help aid in getting a little higher compression and clearance for that solid roller cam. There's tons of things you can do. The modifications are endless. I would suggest that you contact a quailty engine builder like Keith Craft. He'll be able to supply you with a combination that you're looking for. Good luck with your ride. Sounds nice.

·
get8ch
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info - the car will not be a daily driver - but I wont to be able to drive on the street when I decide to take it out. So it will be a street/strip car. And maybe plan on going to the track when I can. I do plan on getting the heads worked on - what about my intake choice? Would there need to be any modification to the intake to get me in the 10's on motor?

Blacksunshine 357 said:
Sure it can be done. Is it going to be a street/strip car or mainly a dedicated race car? You'll need to do a nice port and polish on the heads and intake. I would suggest a solid roller cam that will go well with your heads and intake. If this car is going to be street driven, I would suggest a hydraulic roller cam. Milled heads and some customs pistons will help aid in getting a little higher compression and clearance for that solid roller cam. There's tons of things you can do. The modifications are endless. I would suggest that you contact a quailty engine builder like Keith Craft. He'll be able to supply you with a combination that you're looking for. Good luck with your ride. Sounds nice.

·
Jetting the Fogger
1,052 Posts
I have not run either intakes that you're planning on using but, I have heard good things about both.On a dedicated race car I think your goal is very attainable. Check with an engine builder. There's combinations out there that have been race proven. Good luck with your ride.

·
Renegade Vette owner
1,153 Posts
I agree that it can be done, but you will need to turn some decent rpms (well past the stock 6250 rev-limiter) AND have a cam/head/intake combo that is efficient and making its power up there at those higher revs.

The heads are good, but will definitely need to be worked. The long runner intake... not sure. It's been awhile since I researched all the 5.0 intakes, and there are some great new(er) ones out there.

But typically as you raise your efficient rpm band, the shorter you want that intake runner, as they just flow better in the higher revs.

The solid lift cam/valvetrain would allow you to spin it as high as you want, its just not as streetable and will require more routine maintenance and valve-lash adjustments. Not a huge deal.

Of course, if you're racing rev-range is in the 5500-7500rpm range, then you will need some 4.33 gears at least. :)

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts