DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would cause a light valve clatter throughout all rpm's on one of these 4V motors...

of course this started about the time the thermostat went out and the car got pretty hot.

could the valve springs be failing or could this be solved with a timing adjuster???????

thanks in advance for any information

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm

the car has 94k on the odo. so the timeing chain is probablly getting worn...

but it's not a bad tapping and it sounds to be coming from either the # 5 or 6 cylinder... my new altenator is kinda noisy so it's hard to tell

what would be my best bet on diagnosis and or remedy for this?

thanks for your input mod motors are still pretty new to me

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt

anyone else have some helpfull tips for me...

ttt

·
2-7 and still a fan!
16,954 Posts
Just to make sure we get this one out of the way, you are putting super unleaded from a reputable gas station right? If you are and you are still hearing clattering, it is not from the timing chain going bad, tho it could be the timing chain tensioners, they have a vinyl type guide on them and when it over heated the engine it could have damaged these two parts. The chains are made to last over 300,000 miles so I doubt you have one going bad. But like someone else already pointed out, if you over heated it bad, you could have a number of things wrong...'Henry

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thank you

it was overheated but i don't think it was bad enough to hurt anything...

i also didn't know that the timing chains were made to be 300k+ chains.

as for the fuel....only premium or mid grade....and only from exxon or BP (amaco gas) i'll run some more premium and octane booster through it to see if that's the cause

thanks for all the help everyone

also I just found out that the lincoln mark viii's are set up with a safety device to keep them from overheating to the point of damage....

check this out...learn something new every day

www.lincolnsclub.org/dcforum/DCForumID5/383.html#1

·
Procrastination Racing
9,224 Posts
If you're running BP, that is the problem. Exxon super only for my 98. When the two Mobil stations I always used switched to BP, my car started running like crap and knocking like crazy. After going to Exxon super, no more issues.

Also, a friend of mine experienced the same thing with his 2V.

·
Got Lateral G's??
9,822 Posts
If it did overheat, there could quite possibly be a big problem in the valvetrain. You may have cooked some oil and it has clogged up one of the lash adjuster oil holes. You could also have damanged the cam follower or the cam itself by oil starvation or just overheated and broken down oil. the last item which I hope it is not is that the valve guide got too hot and the valves are moving around on you.

Make sure you have plenty of oil in it and run the best gas possible and see if it gets any better. If not, try and schedule a time for HPP to look at it and I am sure they can give you some advice.

Mod motors are actually very simple and easy to work on once you have done it once or twice.

good Luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts