DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Semi-Banned
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here goes, i have an 86gt, stock motor, as u know 86gt pistons are flat, and have no valve clearance, i have an f303 cam i want to install on my motor, but ive been thinking on what to do, should i just get the pistons flycut? how much would that cost? what would i have to change, other than the piston rings? and gaskets, (also will do an overhaul while im at it, i already have complete engine gasket set)

well, i heard that i may have to get longer pushrods, ?
or that i may have to get shorter push rods something like that, let me know what all i will have to change if u know the answer to that? or i would appreciate all the help i can get,

im running my powerdyne at the moment, 9lb's of boost-mass air conversion- 24lb injectors,) but for the 200k miles this motor has, i know something is going to go bad soon, so im trying to prepair or set up the motor before it does, and especially now that i have a week free to do the work, thanx again [tony]

·
Semi-Banned
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ttt

im running the stock heads from 1986gt 5.0, ,,, i think e6 heads,

im hopping to leave everything the same, hoping not having to buy alot of parts just to flycut pistons and put in my
f-303 cam, (i have a powerdyne 9lb's-thats why im using the f303 cam)

but i reallyt dont know much about this- im just trying to do my homework before- i get my buddy to help me out on my motor...thaqnx again[tony] HELP!!:( :confused:

·
Banned
31,053 Posts
he's right... you'd be better off running the E7 heads with the stock cam than running E6 heads with the F303.

you probably won't have to notch the pistons with the E6 heads, but you'll DEFINATELY have to if you want to run anything but the stock cam with the E7's.

get those POS heads off of there.

FWIW, a pair of TFS TW's will clean an F303 with no notching!

Forrest

·
Worship me
34,275 Posts
Forrest said:
he's right... you'd be better off running the E7 heads with the stock cam than running E6 heads with the F303.

you probably won't have to notch the pistons with the E6 heads, but you'll DEFINATELY have to if you want to run anything but the stock cam with the E7's.

get those POS heads off of there.

FWIW, a pair of TFS TW's will clean an F303 with no notching!

Forrest
Even with the 86 piston?

·
Semi-Banned
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so what should i do?

if i cant get a hold of any e7 heads- if i get the 86 pistons flycut, will i have to replace anything else, (ie. rods?-etc.)
why would running the stock e6 heads with an f303 cam, be worse than running e7's with stock cam-?,,,, im not sure wherer this getting, i thought that the f303 was also a good supercharger cam,

i have my powerdyne that will go on right along with my f-cam,,,,
i have the powerdyne installed already, but i dont really trust all that forced air in my motor, because its an 86- all the gaskets (except- valve cover-and intake gaskets are stock)
and the motor has 200k miles-
i dont get on it much- so it doesnt bother me much, but i want to get all my things together- before something ont he motor does go haywire!!!
i just need the opinions and expertise of those of u who know about cams- valve clearance- engine combos,,,etc. and again thanx [tony]

·
Darkside
20,179 Posts
I had the F cam in my 85 GT. I had the GT40X heads with 58cc combustion chambers. That is smaller combustion chambers that the heads you have. I had no problem with the valve clearance. Have you actually checked the clearance? You shouldn't have any problems. I ran stock pushrods with no problem also.;)

·
Worship me
34,275 Posts
Forrest said:
I'm about 99% positive... even on the factory notched pistons, the TFS valves don't line up with them so they might as well not even be there!

Forrest
That is true, so i guess the moral of the story is, if you got 86 pistons then get TW heads...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.