DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating on whether or not to fix the dings in my doors and prime my car. The paint is really shitty on the roof so it is getting pained soon anyway. I was taliking to a friend and he told me it is a bad idea to prime a car and leave it like that for any amount of time. something about the primer absorbs water and it will make my car rust. Does anyone know anything about this. Someone enlighten me please.

Rick T

·
Premium Member
14,152 Posts
Life expectancy in primer depends entirely on the primer system used and climate conditions. Catalyzed primers hold up the best-examples would be epoxy and urethene. Uncatalyzed primers such as Laquer break down fasted and will absorb moisture in time.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a certain type of primer that I need to use (paint will be a base coat clearcoat)?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone make a good urethane primer in a spray can

·
Foxaholic
7,351 Posts
Don't think so. They do make compressed air bottles that hook up to mixed paint so that you can shoot paint without a gun and compressor.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks, is this a bad idea? It is going to be pirimer probably 2 or 3 months

·
Premium Member
14,152 Posts
Spray it with some 2K urethane primer and it will be fine, 2-3 months isn't that long. About the spray bomb stuff, its fine to spray to protect the metal for a few days, then sand it off and spray some catalized (2K) material on. Thats about all that spray bomb shit is good for IMO. If you try and leave the uncatalized primer on and spray base on, you will probably have major lifting problems. IMO 2k it or don't do it at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts