DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard from a great many people that I shouldn't just primer my car and leave it like that because primer tends to trap moisture between it and the paint eventually leading to rust problems. My car's factory paint job really looks like crap and I'd like to do something about it but painting it is out of the question right now due to low funds. So I've thought about primer as the next best thing. But then I've been hearing this.

Also, I've been wondering if there's any way that I can remove the factory GT hood decal on my '86 Mustang? It's actually wearing a white hood from an '85 GT so it looks kind of wierd as my car is black. I'd like to at least remove that decal so it doesn't look as wierd.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
305 Posts
why don't you just primer it over the paint so primer won't hit metal thats what a friend did for the mean time while funds become available

·
Foxaholic
7,351 Posts
what's point in that?

You can primer it and leave it, just not with a rattle can primer. Use a good primer. Contact sDun here on the board and ask him what to use. He primed my hood over a year ago and it is just now getting painted. Primer looked like new when I took it back to him to get it painted.

·
Is that a Fobra?
2,427 Posts
Get some flat black primer/sealent. Wont trap moisture as bad.

·
Registered
182 Posts
dont fuck it up . leave it alone . there is no point in primer except fill scratches where bodywork is present . if you dont know what your doing dont do it . save your money and get it painted .

·
IGOSLO
1,377 Posts
i know a guy who will paint a hood for about $70 and if you want it buffed and .... $100ish

1 - 6 of 6 Posts