DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my p/s pump is leaking pretty badly and making a lot of noise when I turn. I talked to one guy and he said that mustang p/s pumps always make noise a lot of noise. Is this true, im going to end up buying another one soon I just wanted to know if I should expect this from my new one.

· Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Mine has always been silent until recently and it appears I have a leak somewhere. I checked it today and it was very low.

They should only make noise when they are low on fluid or worn out, that goes for any make and model car, not just mustangs. Whoever said that was normal was wrong.

-Chris

· IA2
22,150 Posts
The PS pump on our 88 GT always whined. After the engine died and it sat for two years it doesn't whine anymore :confused:

The PS pump on my 88 F150 always whined. The new pump I put on it whined also.

I've already had one PS pump replaced on my '02 F150 (was already whining on the test drive) and the replacement pump is beginning to whine (8000 miles).

The whining usually doesn't hurt anything unless it's low on fluid. One time I traced a leak back to a dry rotted return line and the other leak I had came from a worn front seal.

You'll need to rent a pulley puller from autozone.

I read somewhere that the whining was related either to trapped air or use of power steering fluid instead of ATF. I don't know if there is really anything to this or not.

· Banned
31,053 Posts
it seems to be a hit or miss thing... sometimes they'll moan and whine like no other, and other times they'll be pretty quiet... I don't know what the formula of where to get a quiet one, etc.

it may sound silly, but you might try running a synthetic fluid or something :confused:

of you can do what I always do and go manual! :D

Forrest

· Registered
429 Posts
If either of you guys would like a new/used pump, rack, and/or hoses, pm me. I am converting to manual. This stuff was installed new when I installed my engine. It has about 5000k miles on it. Let me know. Oh, and it did whine.

edit: there are 5000 miles, not 5 million:D

· Registered
655 Posts
if you go manual is it still ok for open track racing or is it more for 1/4 mile.

· Registered
429 Posts
Mine is for 1/4. I am just putting a four banger setup on. Flaming River makes a rack that is manual, but the revolutions you turn the steering wheel is equivalent to having power. Not sure how this would work on a track. I really don't have the $600 or whatever it is to throw at it at this time.:D

· OLD SCHOOL crew
11,186 Posts
Mustangs usually leak at the area where the rubber hoses connect to the brassfittings near the rack. The high pressure hoses just let go over time. If it isn't leaking there it is probably the driver side boot on the rack, very doubtful the pump leaks.

Manual racks that are designed not to use power take less effort to turn than a power rack getting no assist i.e. shortbelt. I worked for an scca team for 3 years and never saw any car with power steering, whether it was a formula car or a big sedan, all the way up to the giga horsepower gt-1 cars.

Lots of stangs in A-sedan too, no power steering. Once your rolling it really isn't needed. Manual racks make me feel more in control than power assist ones do...

· Registered
655 Posts
does it give you that much more power to have manual? who makes the best? is it easy t oinstall? does it clean up the engine bay pretty nicely?

· Registered
655 Posts
89 5OH HATCH said:
One of the main reasons I am dropping it is to clean things up. Plus, shorter belt, less rotational drag on the crank, and one less fluid to worry about.
sounds good

· Registered
655 Posts
llamastang said:
does it give you that much more power to have manual? who makes the best? is it easy t oinstall? does it clean up the engine bay pretty nicely?
anyone wanna help and make some $$$$$$$$? anyone got a used one? should i buy a used one?

· Registered
655 Posts
i want to go manual.

· OLD SCHOOL crew
11,186 Posts
if you have a fox get a manual rack from a local parts store from an older fox body and give them yours as the core :D

Much cheaper than a flaming river unit. Should be somewhere around $80? Which is cheaper than buying new high pressure hoses and you get some power, drop some weight, and get rid of some underhood clutter.

Mike Murillo had a nappa manual rack in his 8 sec. true street silver fox GT. That car also had the heavy duty radiator from pep boys...129$ and about 3x's the width of a stocker ;)

Look hard, find cheap, go fast...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.