DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
tear'n asphalt in the 68'
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know a good way to go about restoring license plates? I have some old 68' plates on my 1968 Mustang coupe they have quite a bit of paint wear and some rust on their bottoms, a slight bend and quite a bit of writting (hemisfair, year, TEXAS, etc.) I understand that straighting them out and sanding them down would be a good start, but does anyone know a way to lay down the black and white paint (black base white writting). So that the white looks clean and doesnt go all over the edges. I thought about putting tape down and sanding the edges but then the embosment on the letters of the plate wouldn't be white. Has anyone done this before and how exactly was it done to achieve that "fresh new plate" look? Also does anyone know a specific paint I should use, Krylon rust proof seems to be the best bet so far but any info would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Any ideas as well as suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Commercial Flooring Guy
3,454 Posts
First and foremost,, take a pic,
Then, lay down the base, lay down the tape, and carefully with an exacto knife, cut out around the numbers and letters,

Hector

·
"R" Code
1,960 Posts
use blue 1/8" fineline tape to outline the letters/numbers/whatever and then put the masking tape over it and cut. you will get a cleaner edge that way

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also want to restore my registration plate of 1979, I am in UK and discussed it with Auto plates direct but they referred me to some other company but they have no proper answer. Can you suggest from where can I restore my number plate?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts