DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Other half of bitter
7,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any of you girls, or guys for that matter, tried Pilates? I just started a class two weeks at the TI on site gym, 2x a week during lunch. Being that i love lifting weights, but hate stretching.....this class is really a challenge. I am pretty inflexible, but didn't realize how bad it was until this class. It's a great class to tone, especially abs, ass and thighs. If anyone is looking for something low impact, but that does give results, this is it!

·
Kill u w kindness
1,813 Posts
It works wonders!!!!! And the soreness is "monumental." My girlfriend is a big believer in pilates. Most dancers sing the praises of how well it works. Form and technique are very important. Good luck with sticking with it. You will be very pleased if you can.

·
Premium Member
36,166 Posts
Wrong forum.:p

I bet Allan enjoys your new found flexibility though...

·
I'm So Fabulous
3,622 Posts
pilates is the dancers exercise ;) its great for lengthening and toning muscles so you dont get bulk (i.e. a dancers typical look).

good luck, some of the moves are HARD!!!

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
I just started doing the Windsor Pilates. It definitely kicks my butt! Yeah, there are a few moves that I can't even begin to do and they are soooo flexible, makes me sick. :rolleyes: One day though.. one day. :)

·
Back From Oblivion
2,401 Posts
Oh GAWD! Pilates kicks my ass! I recently joined a gym and started doing some of their pilates and step classes. They both kick my ass around the block! Step was hard for me to get down, just because it's a lot of activity, and I just had to get into the groove of that. But, pilates.....man, that's a whole different exhaustion! I was "tired" really, but could barely walk afterwards! There's no exertion to it, but it works you out a lot! I am sooooo not flexible, by any means of the word, so hopefully I will get that way soon.

G

·
My partner's wife teaches Pilates at their house. She has a freakin studio the size of their house out back.

Let me know if you want a deal ;)

·
Other half of bitter
7,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got Boost? said:
Wrong forum.:p

I bet Allan enjoys your new found flexibility though...
lol

<---not flexible yet!!!

working on it though.....i agree with you girls- it is hard!! Like you, Steph, i am amazed at the advanced moves.....i struggle to do some of the beginner stuff. We even have like 6 guys in the class!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Pilates is all I did when I use to tell salsa dancing but not anymore. It's a great workout ! I might start up again but like you Michelle I love lifting those weights.

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
MustangGirl said:
Pilates is all I did when I use to tell salsa dancing but not anymore. It's a great workout ! I might start up again but like you Michelle I love lifting those weights.
See, I hate lifting weights!! I don't want to look bulky or even anything near it. I think pilates is good because it teaches you flexability, balance and breathing techniques while you get long, lean muscles.

·
Other half of bitter
7,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GTChick01 said:
See, I hate lifting weights!! I don't want to look bulky or even anything near it. I think pilates is good because it teaches you flexability, balance and breathing techniques while you get long, lean muscles.
you won't get bulky from lifiting weights. I lift quite often and do a lot of free weights, even bench press and squats (not on a smith machine) and i am not bulky. If you do just average/light weight, you will be fine- it is when you start really lifting heavy/all the time etc that you can get big. The average woman is not going to get 'bulky' from lifting weights,not without some 'help' or spending serious time at the gym. Plus you'll be burning more calories even when stationary, since you have more muscle! ;)

·
Mach 1 | 32 V
5,469 Posts
I need to work out a bit, I'm SO damn lazy, I wonder if UTA has a pilates class...

·
I'm Adorkable!
4,895 Posts
I bought some Pilates dvd's, does it help with weight loss? I mainly bought them to tone and firm, but it would be great if it could help me lose a few pounds in the process.

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
Forensix said:
I bought some Pilates dvd's, does it help with weight loss? I mainly bought them to tone and firm, but it would be great if it could help me lose a few pounds in the process.
I have the Windsor Pilates DVD's and they say you'll lose weight.

·
Other half of bitter
7,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Forensix said:
Right, but does it work??
Coworker of mine is about my size- ---like 5'9 and 135-140, tall, athletic build, just right, not big, not too thin. She gained 60 pounds during her pregnancy (was put on bed rest and couldn't exercise). so losing all that weight was hard for her afterwards.....she has lost it all now! she started pilates a few months ago and it is really making a difference for her. She isn't doing much else exercise wise, although she is doing Weight watchers too. I can tell a big difference though- in how she looks, her butt is tighter and toned and so are her arms. she looks great. she attributes it to the pilates.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts