DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Garage Floor Painting---PHOTOS ! ! ! !

Well, I bit the bullit and I am painting my garage floor tomorrow. I prepared it over the weekend by renting a shot blast machine and roughed it up a bit. This is at our new house and I thought it would be best to do this now before I start storing my stuff in it. Should look awesome when I am done.......about a grand when it is all said and done. :eek: I will post pictures when I am done.....it will be SWEET! :cool:

· Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BlackSnake1996 said:
What are you using?
H & C Shield-Crete (from Sherwin Williams). Supposed to be very good stuff that you don't even have to etch......but I rented a shot blast machine and roughed it up anyway and applied the paint tonight. Took 3.25 gallons to do a little over 600 sq. ft. About $90 a gallon, too. :eek: Only have two hours per gallon to roll out. Kind of thick but looks nice. I am going to let it dry and then gloss coat it Saturday afternoon.

· Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
doopie said:
Damn I used the contractor pack on my 840 sq feet and had plenty leftover to do another garage. The clear coat goes on thinner and you will use less do not overcoat or it will cloud.

Raymond
Yea, I wanted to do the contractor pack, but it was 5 gallons and once you activate the epoxy you only have 4 hours to get it down. I was painting this by myself so I had to go a gallon at a time. More expensive but atleast it gave me more time and flexibility.

· Premium Member
2,810 Posts
100% solids at 1 mil thick covers 1604 sqaure feet. If you devide it out, most manufacturers don't won't you using a base coat any more than 8 mils, so 1604/8 = 200 ft per gallon.

What you guys are using is probably in the 60-70% solids range which means you have to multiply the results by your percentage of solids do to shrinkage.

as for the grease spots........you have to crystalize them with a blow torch, but be carefull LOL.

· Premium Member
2,008 Posts
scrub with wire brush and strong detergent to get the surface clean, then etch with mild muritac acid solution. Should be ok. May be some staining after its all dry but as long as all the oil is removed and the slab is dry, you should be good to go.

Some kits like the Rustoleum product include a package of granular concrete prep, I dont know if its good for spot cleaning though.

· Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finished up the floor today......put on the clear coat "Glaze" and now have to wait until Wednesday to move everything back in......including cars. Looks pretty nice and the color flakes help with it not being slick as snot when it gets wet plus I put in the anti skid sand stuff before applying the epoxy to the floor. I will post photos in a couple of days when I get a sunny day. Cost me about $650 in materials......2.5 car garage and a patio.....cheapest quote I got for a 2 car gargage was $1800 so I feel like I saved a buck.

· Painting Your House
11,586 Posts
Red 342 H.O. said:
H & C Shield-Crete (from Sherwin Williams). Supposed to be very good stuff that you don't even have to etch......but I rented a shot blast machine and roughed it up anyway and applied the paint tonight. Took 3.25 gallons to do a little over 600 sq. ft. About $90 a gallon, too. :eek: Only have two hours per gallon to roll out. Kind of thick but looks nice. I am going to let it dry and then gloss coat it Saturday afternoon.
Great stuff. Its what we use. It sould hold up very well.

· Registered
213 Posts
I hate to tell you guys this, but the kit you can get at lowes for $ 65.00
work like a champ and holds up just great.
It comes with everything you need for the average garage floor, and if you have greasy floors you can buy the extra citric acid to get up those stains.
I've treated 4 floors and one shop floor and it works great.
Oh: and it's a one man job.

· Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
miketyler said:
yeah, I like the Sherwin Williams line and would like to see this too.

OK here are the photos. Hopefully the pictures will do the job justice. My neighbors just went ape shit over the look and my wife was impressed.

Kind of a before and after look. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

· Registered
10 Posts
Finished up the floor today......put on the clear coat "Glaze" and now have to wait until Wednesday to move everything back in......including cars. Looks pretty nice and the color flakes help with it not being slick as snot when it gets wet plus I put in the anti skid sand stuff before applying the epoxy to the floor. I will post photos in a couple of days when I get a sunny day. Cost me about $650 in materials......2.5 car garage and a patio.....cheapest quote I got for a 2 car gargage was $1800 so I feel like I saved a buck.

metallic epoxy flooring minneapolis
the time has come to repaint my garage floor. I have been looking online but just keep seeing bad reviews - has anyone got any recommendations please?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts