DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a pic of the wall in the dining room of the house I'm having built. If this was your house being built and you had a wall like this, would you bitch and complain also? I'm pretty certain at this stage, they'll say deal with it. But, best case I want the wall ripped out and replaced. Worst case, they can give me a 15K credit and I'll place a hutch against the wall. Am I being too picky????

·
Punk Ass Bitch
11,088 Posts
I am not sure what you paid for the house but I am guessing it is in the $150K + range so I would definitely bitch about it. IMO, I would take the money and park something in front of it before I had them rip out the wall and fix it.:)

·
Custom Title
16,520 Posts
I doubt they will do anything about the bow in it. Wood/walls are never perfectly square, but they could have done a better job than that! Hope you get some satisfaction out of them, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now, I won't mention the builder until his has a chance to give me his offer on fixing it. The house was supposed to be done in Dec, but with this, I'm thinking late Jan.

The price of the home is well into the 300Ks. The builder is reputable and builds in the million dollar total custom range. They aren't a flyby nighter.

·
How you doin'
28,254 Posts
have you or the bank paid their retainage yet? if not, then i wouldn't pay any of it until that is fixed. that is rediculous.

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
STANGGT40 said:
have you or the bank paid their retainage yet? if not, then i wouldn't pay any of it until that is fixed. that is rediculous.
No need for construction loan. We walked into the house at the framing stage, with the floor plan we liked. Thus we got to pick out and upgrade everything. Like building from scratch, but sold like a normal spec home. It was great.

The problem is I have a sizeable escrow account tied up with this house. Not that I don't think a lawyer couldn't get it back + some, but that process would just tie us up going to a new builder.

Hopefully, we'll be able to negoiate this "little" problem before I tell them to sell it to someone else.

·
Premium Member
33,187 Posts
01WhiteCobra said:
The builder is reputable and builds in the million dollar total custom range. They aren't a flyby nighter.
And he expects that kind of work to be acceptable... :confused:

Sorry about your situation man. How is the quality of the rest of the build?

·
None
12,675 Posts
This is what punch lists are for.

Grab your nuts, teabag the builder rep and say fix it or you'll piss up his nose.

Shit dude...you're having them build a house for you. if it's not right, IT'S NOT RIGHT. Have them fix it.

DO NOT SETTLE FOR LESS THAN HAVING IT DONE RIGHT.

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
BITCH, BITCH, BITCH!!

That is very unacceptable! Even it was only a 90k house, that is horrible. You are paying for something that you are going to look at everyday for at least the next 10 years. That shit needs to be right.

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
46Tbird said:
And he expects that kind of work to be acceptable... :confused:

Sorry about your situation man. How is the quality of the rest of the build?
We will find out today if he thinks its acceptable! I found it last night. We are to meet at the house at 1:30.

The rest of the house is kick ass. Everything in the house is top notch (except this wall!). Dual A/C 12 seer, CAT-5 cabling (with double runs to each room), 16" tile all downstairs, custom capentry to our specs, etc.

Everything was going like clockwork until this. We had already planned on being in the house prior to Christmas, but, damn, not with the dining room like that!

·
Tha Closer
1,494 Posts
Walls may never be square, but that is not acceptable. If they have to rip the wall ot the tile will have to be replaced also. That is about as poor workmanship that I have ever seen. They will try to say thay nobody will ever notice it. Dont go for that shit cause you will always notice it. Then when you get ready to sell and upgrade or whatever your prospective buyer will notice it. Dont stand for it. Make them fix it.

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I knew I'd feel more testosterone reading the replies. Thanks guys and gals! I'm ready to "piss up his nose". lol

Sucks though, it has completely done to the wife's specs, everything she wanted in that "I''ll live here for 20 years".

Hopefully we'll work it out here today.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
33,187 Posts
Well, if the rest of the house is tip-top, they won't have any problem replacing an ~8ft section of drywall, some moulding and a couple pieces of tile. Esp for the $300K you're dropping on it. :)

Good luck man, I bet it won't be much of a fight to get them to fix that.

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
Your not being picky that wall looks like shit. Whoever built that needs to do it again maybe they will take their time next time and save themselves alot of trouble

·
GROWED UP WRONG
7,413 Posts
When we got our house built and did our walk through I noticed a couple of windows were off a bit and I wanna say in Rockwall it is a margin of 3/4" either way.....
But yeah, I would bitch....

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was a sud contracter for Grand homes and K&B homes and i did all the warranty work. I have worked on a wall that looked like yours and it can be that you have a water leak in your home and its making the wall swell up like that. It can also be that you have some pipes pushing on the sheetrock making it bow like that. If i were you i would tell them that if that wall is not fixed your not going to buy the house.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts