DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying a receiver and two floor speakers. I don't want a full on surround sound system right now as I'm trying to put this together on a budget. I have a 50" plasma, PS3, 360 and U-verse to hook up so that's all 3 HDMI inputs of the receiver linked below. I don't know much about these systems but how would this sound/work? TIA

Speakers
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OG4E1G?qid=1288022575&ref_=sr_1_1&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Receiver
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+450W+5.1-Ch.+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/9749436.p?skuId=9749436&id=1218166513661

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
If you are just going to run two floor speakers in lieu of the full 5.1/7.1 set up, I recommended buying a receiver that allows you to bi-amp the front speaker for more power to utilize the power of those unused channels. And if you get a 5.1/7.1 w/sub speaker package down the road you can just set the mains back to the front L/R.

I've had experience with Yamaha, Sony, and Onkyo AVRs. I always recommend Onkyo, which has excellent quality in their entry level gear and their THX2 Select reference gear is up there with Marantz. Tip: Don't use speaker wire any smaller than 16 gauge. I use Monster XP. I use to be a Sony guy myself before I stumbled across Onkyo gear.

However, for an entry level HT set up, there is nothing wrong with the gear in your links.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are just going to run two floor speakers in lieu of the full 5.1/7.1 set up, I recommended buying a receiver that allows you to bi-amp the front speaker for more power to utilize the power of those unused channels. And if you get a 5.1/7.1 w/sub speaker package down the road you can just set the mains back to the front L/R.

I've had experience with Yamaha, Sony, and Onkyo AVRs. I always recommend Onkyo, which has excellent quality in their entry level gear and their THX2 Select reference gear is up there with Marantz. Tip: Don't use speaker wire any smaller than 16 gauge. I use Monster XP. I use to be a Sony guy myself before I stumbled across Onkyo gear.

However, for an entry level HT set up, there is nothing wrong with the gear in your links.
Thanks for the tips! I googled bi-amping and it seems to be a little more involved than what I'm looking to do :eek: I'm gonna go look around at Best Buy and see what I can put together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.