DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested to see who would be interested in sending care packages to some of the soldiers deployed. I know we have several veterans on the board, so we could send them to the sections of these veterans.

I was informed that due to terrorism they have stopped any soldier mail, as a single soldier this got me through a few rough times, and having been deployed I know the value of a care package.

We have weekly GTG's maybe we could use these to gather items for the soldiers who are defending our country right now.

The items I most remember needing are:
Snacks
Anything to read
soap--did 2 month's without a shower--Desert Storm :eek:
a simple letter
Paper/Envelopes

Is anyone interested in anything like this?

·
Behind Blue Eyes..
6,729 Posts
yea lemme know ill send em few things....

·
Saved
1,315 Posts
Good things to include:
AA batteries
C batteries
D batteries
gatorade packets
Koolade Packets presweetened
vitamins and supplements
chapstick
paperbacks and magazines
comic strips out of the paper
real toilet paper
handi wipes, individual packets are great
letters of support, they really help

Try and send the packages to units that actually see action, don't let the pogues or REMFs get all the good stuff like what happened in Shield/Storm. Do some research and send them to the Tanks, Guns, and really the infantry, they see the worst of the combat, the front line. An example would be Mortars squad Fox company, 2nd Bn., 8th Marine Regiment or 81s platoon Weapons Co. 1st Bn. 8th Marine Regiment. (these are my old units)

·
Certified CRAZY!
4,371 Posts
I would.

Operation Adopt a Solidier

Sounds good to me:D

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wild Stallion said:
Good things to include:
AA batteries
C batteries
D batteries
gatorade packets
Koolade Packets presweetened
vitamins and supplements
chapstick
paperbacks and magazines
comic strips out of the paper
real toilet paper
handi wipes, individual packets are great
letters of support, they really help

Try and send the packages to units that actually see action, don't let the pogues or REMFs get all the good stuff like what happened in Shield/Storm. Do some research and send them to the Tanks, Guns, and really the infantry, they see the worst of the combat, the front line. An example would be Mortars squad Fox company, 2nd Bn., 8th Marine Regiment or 81s platoon Weapons Co. 1st Bn. 8th Marine Regiment. (these are my old units)
Thanks for the list Wild Stallion there were some good thing on there I forgot on mine.....especially the AA Batts...gotta run the walkman;)

I am going to get the mailing address for one of my old units
A co 10th Engineer BN 3rd Infantry Division
and see who all wants to participate

·
Registered
768 Posts
i would be very happy to contribute. as the military would not take me due to my diabetes, this is one way i can show support for our men and women giving thier very lives. tell me what i can do. i think the gtg's are a great place for people to bring stuff and give it to a designated person to send it out. lets all get in on this and do whatever we can to help our troops and make the lives just a bit easier. anyone that thinks this is not a good idea is just about a sorry person in my opinion.

dave.

·
I'm Adorkable!
4,895 Posts
I'm in!

I made about $100 this past weekend making and selling patriotic ribbons. PM me and I can buy some stuff for you to send. I made so much from the ribbons that I felt bad in keeping the money because I dont want to profit off of other peoples suffering. So, I am going to buy some handheld electronic games to send out. Let me know how many you want/need. I'll throw in the batteries too. I have a letter made out to send that includes Psalm 121 and an address for soldiers to write to if they dont have anyone else to write to. So, just drop me a line and I will do whatever I can.

·
Out
41,944 Posts
Re: I'm in!

Forensix said:
I made about $100 this past weekend making and selling patriotic ribbons. PM me and I can buy some stuff for you to send. I made so much from the ribbons that I felt bad in keeping the money because I dont want to profit off of other peoples suffering. So, I am going to buy some handheld electronic games to send out. Let me know how many you want/need. I'll throw in the batteries too. I have a letter made out to send that includes Psalm 121 and an address for soldiers to write to if they dont have anyone else to write to. So, just drop me a line and I will do whatever I can.
That's badass!!!

I'll do whatever you need to help. PM me if you need any specifics!

·
Rolling with the homies
43,268 Posts
Kick ass idea Larry! I'm in!

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First, let me thank everyone who has responded through Posting/PM/and E-mail. I am working on getting a few addresses right now from my old unit in the 3rd Infantry Division.

I will be calling/e-mailing/pm-ing everyone who responded if I already haven't to come up with an actual date(s)/time(s) to gather all the material.

Once again thank you.

·
Procrastination Racing
9,224 Posts
I saw on TV this morning that the US gov is asking citizens to stop sending UNSOLICITED letters and packages. I think this means we need to have a direct person to send stuff to.
Can you elaborate Larry?

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EW said:
I saw on TV this morning that the US gov is asking citizens to stop sending UNSOLICITED letters and packages. I think this means we need to have a direct person to send stuff to.
Can you elaborate Larry?
I am currently working with a POC in Ft. Campbell Ky to get the IDIVIDUAL address for a few soldiers who are now deployed. We will send the boxes to those individuals, who will be notified ahead of time they are coming. This way the boxes will not be turned around.

I am also working on a POC for 3ID at Ft. Stewart, however ALL of my old unit has been deployed so I am still working on obtaining a POC.

Hope this helps, I have been contacted by a few people about this, and am currently working with Jose to arrange a date for a GTG/Drop off for the item's. Once he sets a date he will notify us of it.

·
Procrastination Racing
9,224 Posts
Again today the govt is asking Americans to stop sending stuff and asking that donations are made to USO. They did say "unsolicited" mail, packages, etc. They said the reason is that after the 9/11 anthrax that this is a security issue. We need to verify that what we send will make it to the person we send it to.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have contacted several people about obtaining addresses, however they have not contacted me back. I currently have only 2 addresses 1 for my Platoon SGT from Germany who is currently in IRAQ, and a friend who is in Kuwait. So it may be best just to gather the items at the GTG at Pappa's and turn them over to the USO.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
addresses

I am on active duty and have several friends deployed to the Middle East. I can get direct addresses and names of soldiers from our LRSU, MI Battalion, and Theater Command folks. I live in Georgia but I am stationed at Ft Huachuca AZ working for CENTCOM. For those of you from Texas who may not know, your 49th Division guys are deployed here for base/border security and probably at a couple of other bases as well. If you guys want to get their info as well, I can check on them too. They are sharp guys and just got back from Bosnia a year ago.

CPT Darrin Smith
Survey Team Leader
4th Weapons of Mass Destruction Team

1 - 20 of 55 Posts