DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Still Serving Time
1,665 Posts
i wonder if they had to strengthen the chassis any for that monster just due to the weight of the engine.

and what gearing it has

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cummins Dragster

Hey guys-
I have been watching this forum forever because it has awesome topics. Anyhow, I am the driver of the infamous diesel dragster. Just a little history, to not bore you guys. This is our 5th year running a diesel. We started off with a different car, but because of the weight of the engine, we broke the frame in the motor mount areas. So, my dad and I built a new car with yes, a thicker back half to support the weight of the Cummins. It's a 240" dragster built around a Mark Williams set of prints, then we've redesigned a few areas to accomodate the diesel. The car weighs 2150 with me in it, so it's not too ungodly heavy. We ran the car forever with a Powerglide and kept breaking the "unbreakable" trannys. We then converted everything in the powerglide to billet components and haven't had much trouble since. However, as you can tell in the bottom pic, we switched to a 47RE ATS TripleLok tranny for this year. It should perform much better than the powerglide because of the lock up capabilities of the converter. The top pic is from when we were in "Thunder in Muncie" and ran an 8.75 (the first diesel in the 8's), then the next pic down is when we ran a 7.98 @ 167 (first diesel in the 7's) at Pomona for the World Finals last year. Yes, please check out www.cumminsracing.com for pics and info on the car, and I apologize for this being so long.
Dustin Bentz

·
Premium Member
14,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dieseldragger1320 said:
Hey guys-
I have been watching this forum forever because it has awesome topics. Anyhow, I am the driver of the infamous diesel dragster. Just a little history, to not bore you guys. This is our 5th year running a diesel. We started off with a different car, but because of the weight of the engine, we broke the frame in the motor mount areas. So, my dad and I built a new car with yes, a thicker back half to support the weight of the Cummins. It's a 240" dragster built around a Mark Williams set of prints, then we've redesigned a few areas to accomodate the diesel. The car weighs 2150 with me in it, so it's not too ungodly heavy. We ran the car forever with a Powerglide and kept breaking the "unbreakable" trannys. We then converted everything in the powerglide to billet components and haven't had much trouble since. However, as you can tell in the bottom pic, we switched to a 47RE ATS TripleLok tranny for this year. It should perform much better than the powerglide because of the lock up capabilities of the converter. The top pic is from when we were in "Thunder in Muncie" and ran an 8.75 (the first diesel in the 8's), then the next pic down is when we ran a 7.98 @ 167 (first diesel in the 7's) at Pomona for the World Finals last year. Yes, please check out www.cumminsracing.com for pics and info on the car, and I apologize for this being so long.
Dustin Bentz
Dude this motherfucker is sweet.

Thanks for coming in and posting up. I love this car. What is the ultimate goal for it? 6s?

·
Still Serving Time
1,665 Posts
wow, i actually figured the car would be heavier than 2150. my 4-link BBC car is only 1920.. and it has a lot of bells and whistles

i saw the article in national dragster... cool deal.

what type of racing do you do with this car? brackets? heads up(i would think some racing for ya)...

·
T-MINUS
28,539 Posts
Not bad considering the engine is almost 60% of the weight!
I've got 4 cummins:D

·
The Janitor
16,424 Posts

that picture is awesome. Welcome to the board. We have more than our share of diesel drivers here, seems a few key members have spread the torque disease =)

I didnt find any power/torque specs on the motor on your website, but then again i didnt look too deeply. I think its cool as hell that the owner of the pictures has been browsing the board.

·
Premium Member
14,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
32VfromHell said:

I didnt find any power/torque specs on the motor on your website, but then again i didnt look too deeply. I think its cool as hell that the owner of the pictures has been browsing the board.[/QUOTE]

From what I read it is running a TT setup using Holset HX-35/40 and HX 55/60 hybrid turbos and Nitrous and I'm sure lots of other work ie. injectors, block work, etc. A news article said 950HP. And this is out of a truck motor with 35,000 miles.

That's sweet. God I want twins on my truck. :D :o

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the kind words guys-
Alright, to answer some of the questions. Yes, our ultimate goal is 6's at over 200. Initially out goal was to just run the super comp index of 8.90. Well, we did that, and we realized how much more potential was left in the car if we put a good set of turbos and a good tranny in the car. We really think we can get into the 6's and 200 this year, maybe as early as June. We are from Denver, where the altitude is 5800 feet at the track, so when we go somewhere, i.e Pomona, or Indiana, we try to take advantage of the low altitude. As of right now we're just running the car to see how fast we can go. We go out a lot for the local test-n-tunes, and stuff like that, but there are a few guys who are building diesel dragsters who think they can kick our ass. we'll see. It'll make for good competition. In regards to hp, I'd say a conservative estimate of 950 and tq at about 1600-1700. Granted, for the record, there are many guys who are building much more power than we are, but they are using the engines for truck pulling. Truck pulling and drag racing are two competely different games and mind sets. On a different note, I absolutely love this web site, I always find something interesting, or downright hilarious on here. Keep it up.
Dustin

1 - 20 of 45 Posts